Ohio LCO'S and state tax?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by daveintoledo, Mar 23, 2005.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Collecting tax really is no big deal. I had a few questions years back when I went legit and and started collecting tax....but no problems since. Just list your price and "plus sales tax" behind it.....

For snow removal the first $5000 is sales tax free, after that it is collected. But with lawn service/landscaping it starts at the first $1.

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Might want to rethink that statement. Ring a Govt. tax agent.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

If you were in the business last year and your gross sales from these services were $5,000 or more, you must register as a service provider, collect and remit sales tax.

If you were in the business last calendar year with total sales of these services being less than $5,000 and you are not sure if your sales will be $5,000 or more this year, you must register and begin collecting the tax when your sales equal or exceed $5,000.

If it is reasonable to expect that your total sales will be $5,000 or more, you must register as a service provider. end quote....

so are you being sarcastic, or do you really get some kind of break for collecting these taxes, hahhah

so i guess you have to send it in monthly weither you tax someone or not.....
    is there a certain form that goes with it....
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

The rule is the same for snow and lawncare. If you expect to do less than $5k in business, then you are not required to collect sales tax. If you expect to do over $5k, you need to be collecting sales tax from the beginning. There is no exempt amount. Nothing like making the law clear and concise. :dizzy: