Ohio liscense?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kbacon3231, Dec 6, 2004.

1. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

In Ohio do you have to registar your name and get a vendors liscense or can you just get the vendors liscense. The lady i call in my town that has the form said that she thought that all i need was a vendors liscense to provide lawn services. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

To obtain a vendors licenses just print the form out from the secretary of state website. Fill it out write them a check and your on your way. You only need the vendors permit to buy materials and not have to pay tax on them. Like mulch and seed etc. Now to register your name go to the same website and print out the form that fits your company fill it out and send them a check for $150 if your a sole proprietorship. Once you purchase a vendors license beware the state of Ohio will be looking for your sales tax. Paid twice a year June and December. They will mail you a book with all kinds of instructions. The vendors licenses cost 25 or 35 bucks. You need help let me know. Been through all this BS before. Don't forget liability and property insurance either. Good Luck

3. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have printed out the forms and that way that i have understood it is that i need the service vendors liscense to be able to charge tax form my services. Now i may be wrong. I may call them and have them tell me exactly what to do. thanks for the help

4. Drew Gemma

yes it give you legal right to collect and pay state sales tax plus you don't have to pay tax on any item you purchase that will be resold.

5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I paid $50 to register my business name earlier this year in Ohio.... you sure about the $150 fee?

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

150.00 is for LLC

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

forgot to add register as an llc so if something happens they cant sue you but only the company

8. Drew Gemma

yep $150 to the good old state of ohio

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

adding to hole-in-one's comment about an llc. unless you know the ins-and-outs of the legalities, make sure you work with an attorney as just forming an llc does not preclude you from being sued.