Ohio - New Safety Rules for NonCDL Vehicles

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HISnHERS, Nov 9, 2010.

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

3. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that sucks! Biggest problem I see is a lot more paperwork and the impact the driving hrs can have on snowplowing.
  4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a 250/2500 while plowing you'll be fine. However the moment you hook up the trailer the rules apply to you.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 LawnSite Member

This was the big thing this summer. All i heard about was people getting pulled over but until recently their was no written rules about this and you could not obtain the rules, but i apply with everything. They are getting out of hand though. according to the troopers you need cabin lights on your truck when according to state law you only need them on a 1 ton or bigger. It's getting out of hand, i agree with some, you should have your equipment tied down etc because of a safety issue but almost all their regulations are wayyy out of hand. but this also all started when that wood chipper in pa took out that family...
  6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

So far they don't have that in Tennessee. They voted down the "English" only for D.L. last year. It is getting to a point here where a Trooper can't ask for I.D. or proof of citizenship if the person is Hispanic without them wanting to say there rights are violated.
  7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Minnesota is pretty much the same way now too, I got pulled over a month ago in my '89 Cummins, gotta have the medical card, triangles, fire ext., fuses, company name on door, etc. At least the trooper who pulled me over was pretty nice about it, let me off with warnings instead of tickets.
  8. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association is also talking with PUCO on this issue. I really don't understand why the troopers would be pulling trucks over to issue warnings since the ruling has not yet become effective. In the case of the Buck & Sons truck, were they stopped for some other reason and then also warned about the new ruling?

At any rate, the new rules are way more than I think are necessary for landscape trucks and trailers at 10,000 lbs. or slightly more And of course the responsible companies will absorb the costs and the Joe Blows will ignore the rules (and probably get away with it.)

HISnHERS LawnSite Member

Agreed. It's the "middle size" operator trying to do it right and follow the rules that will be most effected.
  10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot around here run with out of date tags,no insurance or proper legal documentation why would they worry about any new rules the state would come up with.