Ohio Workers comp ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by silverado212, Feb 13, 2010.

1. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone in Ohio a LLC/Sole Proprietor? I am in the process of filing for workmens comp elective coverage. I am stuck on the question about Payroll. How do I answer it regarding payroll when I don't have any.

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a sole proprietor and I didn't know there was such a thing as elective workers comp.
    Must not be a good deal or my accountant would have suggested it. (I think.)

3. silverado212

Yeah for sole proprietors you can elect coverage. Was advised to get it.

4. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I was told you pay $50 to receive it. I don't know how true that is.

5. silverado212

It is $50 a half yr. But can't finish app. until I know how to answer the payroll question right.

6. starry night

I'm bewildered. I pay much more than $100 a year for my employees. The state government would certainly not insure me for less, would they? I need to talk to someone. This doesn't sound right to me.

7. starry night

Since you don't have a payroll, I don't know how you would answer. Workers comp premiums for a business is based on its payroll and its claims experience.
    Lots of employees or lots of claims, you pay more. I'm checking with someone today. I'll let you know what I found out.

8. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an answer for you in Ohio, but in Florida, you can elect to have coverage even when not required by law to do so. Owners and Officers of a corporation must use a set amount of payroll when they are sole proprietors. It is around 55,000 for the year. When a member of an LLC, there is a minimum and maximum amount, and the same is for when they are members of a corporation entity.

For those of you in Florida, here are the 2010 Workers' Compensation Insurance Rates for Landscaping

I hope that helps. I will try to look up the laws in Ohio and get back to you.

9. starry night

OK, I found the answer. In fact, you can apply for coverage for yourself.
    (I guess you knew that already since you have the application.) For the payroll figure, you use your NET INCOME. And that is what your premium will be based on. Found this information on the Ohio BWC website. I'm not good at posting links on here but you can go there and find what you need.

10. wingetlawncare

wingetlawncare LawnSite Member

I choose the elective coverage for myself. I have no payroll other than myself. When you fill out the workers comp forms you must put a minimum payroll of $383/wk for yourself. If you are electing to not have the coverage then you would enter any payroll you may have for your other employees if any.