Oil Analysis-WS 125 hrs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Florida Gardener, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Interesting....

I wonder if it is the EFI that makes the difference. I'm not sure how much consumption you had....if it was less than a qt., i don't think that would be unusual....especially if you were running long drain intervals.

I will def. monitor the mowers more closely with the M1, see if there is a lot of loss, if it all.....
  2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I feel sorry for people that keep beating a point to death when they have already been heard, acknowledged and dismissed.

Florida I am sure your results will come back just fine. Given the extreme heat, sand, moisture etc that our engines face in our climate I am interested in seeing your results. I have one awaiting me to find time to run to the post office for so long I think I am going to just dismiss it. It was Mobil 1 and I have since switched over to Amsoil 4 stroke so would be more interested in its results as I intend to continue using it.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a commercial engine that was 50/100. They've always been 100/200. I'm closing in on 2,000 hours on that engine so it's a good bet that extended oil changes aren't hurting a thing. Also, ever since the engine was new, when I run it hard it uses a little oil. Over the course of the first 100 hours I probably put 1/2 quart of additional oil in it. That replenishes the oil additives package. I knew that at 100 hours the oil was still fine.

I was also one of the first guys to talk about using Amsoil Saber at 80:1 here at Lawnsite. That was pure heresy back then. Everybody told me I was crazy and my 2 stroke equipment would literally explode right in my hands. Now a lot of people are using Amsoil at 80:1 with no ill effects.

There is nothing wrong with extending OCI as long as you have the oil tested. The simple fact is, if the oil is still good, and in my case it was by a wide margin, then why drain it out? Especially when some of these oils you guys are using have really high TBN, around 12 in the case of the premium synthetics.
  4. Richard Martin

Here is mine at 148 hours. The filter was a Purolator Pure 1 and a Amsoil bypass. The oil is regular Pennzoil 10w30.

No fuel in the oil. Fuel Injected.

5. Richard Martin

An interesting note on my oil test. I just noticed this. Check out the amount of zinc in the oil. It is surprisingly high for a modern oil. Zinc is a major lubricant particularly in engines like ours where the lifters slide across the cam.
  6. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Any thoughts on running straight 30 weight oil vs. 10w30? My Kawasaki manual recommends either one, but says 30 weight when temps outside are high. I've been using 30 weight all the time. I suppose fuel consumption may be slightly lower with thinner oil, though I'm not concerned about fuel consumption. I'm most concerned with what's the absolute best for the protection of the engine.
  7. FMC1959

FMC1959 LawnSite Member

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Richard, if I am reading the chart correctly, it actually does show something under .5% fuel contamination, which I assume to mean there is fuel present, but a negligible amount.
  9. Richard Martin

It could be 0.00%. Who knows? It only says less than 0.5%. That may be the lowest that the program goes. The tech that did the analysis said there was no fuel present.
  10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I change my oil every 40/50hrs and I'm still running a old 96 52" 16hp vanguard with doubles the hour meter broke at 1800hrs ys ago, I do believe its good maintance on your equipment. Marks mowing Service
    Posted via Mobile Device