1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OIL - are they all alike??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by meets1, Mar 20, 2010.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have two salemen that always stop and wanting me to buy amsoil and schaffer oil. Never heard of schaffer but amsoil yes. Then there is quaker state, pensoil, and list goes on.

I use cenex oil, grease, gear lube etc and have good luck. Never had a problem.

I am running all synthica oil in trucks but I still run regular oil in mowers cuz I change oil b/t 75-125 hours and that it seems like every two weeks things are being changed and with the frequency of changing why go with syn. oil.

And then each tries to sell something different - 5-40 vs 5-30 and they even told me they have a 0-40??

Unless you guys can sell me on the "right" oil - I am sticking with what I have used.
  2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
  3. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

What oil you use ultimately comes down to personal preference anyway. There is no right or wrong choice here. All oil lubricates. If you ran regular oil in your trucks and changed engine oil every 3K, verus 6-10K for synthetics you'll get similar wear if you maximize the better wear properties of synthetics.

I run Amsoil in my vehicles. Everything from a Dodge Durango R/T, 99 Ford Taurus, Pontiac G6 GT sedan to my small engine equipment. This year I'll be running synthetic 2 stroke oil, and see how that goes. If it can save me a few bucks a year in fuel/oil costs, and provide longer equipment life and less maintenance it's worth to try.

I've been running Quaker State 4x4 synthetic blend in my Craftsman 6.25 Tecumseh push mower. Only because after I sold my gas station I kept quite a few quarts of this to use. Been using it since it came out in/around 2002, and around the time I purchased the mower. I change it out every 50 hours or so, as the oil begins to darken and then tarnish a bit before its completely black. I've picked up a quart of Amsoil 10W30/SAE 30 small engine synthetic oil, to try out. I won't need to use it as I replaced the engine oil before storage of course but around mid to late June it'll be due for a change. My crafsman mower obviously has no filter, so once the oil begins to tarnish (yellowing) I generally change the oil. If I can get 75 or more hours off of a $6 quart of synthetic versus a $4.75 quart of standard oil that's 25hours more time than usual which will make it cost effective enough to keep using it in the future. Once the growing season starts I'll average 10-17 hours a week on it.
  4. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

5. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

i run 0-30 in all of my equipment, and high milage 10w-30 dino oil in the truck
  6. thom

thom LawnSite Member

I use valvoline dura blend in all of my vehicles.
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

So therefore Amsoil, schaffer, doesn't matter. I am getting the impression that if it is good stick with it. What then is bad in your views?
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I look at it this way...

Every oil sold has to meet certain minimum specifications mandated by federal law, so at least in that sense they are all the same.
    The next question is, how many manufacturers are honestly going to over-spec their oil past these minimum specifications?
  9. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Main tip, NEVER MIX OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok got that? stick with one kind. As far as brands? I don't think it really matters. I use shell 15-40 in my mower. My dad's mower, the piston wore out before the wall with this oil. The piston warped and did not hurt the wall. This never happens. I like to run thicker because it seems to make the engine last longer. Also thinks don't leak as much. Use what the engine tells you, because that is what it was designed to run. There are few engines designed to run 0-20 or 0-30, so I would not run it unless the manufacturer says to.
  10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

Ok I have question. If it was new truck that say ONLY 5W20 or Void Warranty? Will you use 15W40 in it?
    I know some people go to oil change shop and they put 10w40. Then went to dealer for issues with oil pressure. Ford Void their warranty.