Oil blowing out of dipstick, KAW 23

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Alan Bechard, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark Z with 23 Kaw on it. Apx 4 years old.

Last month oil started misting out around the dipstick and blowing back on the exhaust.

First thoughts were I lost something internal, Drained, examined, changed oil and filter, all looked ok.

Dipstick looked ok.

Ran compression check and had 137 and 123 or so, so felt that was ok.

Power is fine, no noticable extra noises.

Called Kaw Tech line and they suggested new dipstick, did that and still have the same problem.

Anybody have some thoughts? I do not want to pull the engine down without being pretty positive of what I am looking for.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The first thing I would check is the dip stick. Next I would have the dealer do a "leak down" test which is MUCH more accurate than a compression test. There are several possible causes from the dip stick to rings to a crank case vent to valves.

3. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Hmm, I did not add in that the first thing I checked is what I believe is the crankase vent, straight out the top into the air filter element, it was wide open.

As I said in my previous post, I did change the dipstick, at Kawasaki's reccomendation, and it did not help.

I have lent out my leak down tester, and am looking to get it back this week I hope. I probably have not used the thing in 3 years, now I need it and it is out. Go figure, anyway, I hope to do that by this weekend.