Oil Brand and Weight?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffreyj77, Nov 29, 2005.

1. jeffreyj77

jeffreyj77 LawnSite Member

I would like to know what oil brand and oil weight people are using in their mowers and trucks. What has worked the best for you in the past or even presently? Do you use the same weight year round, or do you switch to a lighter weight oil during the colder months? Thanks!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pennzoil 10w30 in everything except the wife's new car. I buy it 24 at a time and one oil makes things a little easier.

3. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

Royal Purple 10W/30 in everything...car, truck, mowers, pressure washer.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

10w30 in the kolers-30 hd in all other 4cycles. 20-50 in tundra -dont know whats in the chevy1500- any thing handy for the toyota 22r with over 300k usually 10-40 el chepo from sams(and lots of it)

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Castrol GTX 10w-30 in everything, except new truck GTX 5w-30, and older 4cycles straight 30.

Im looking to use a synthetic in the new truck so I don't have to change it so often, like that clean 5000 stuff from mobile.

6. jeffreyj77

jeffreyj77 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the responses thus far. Please keep them coming! I still have not seen a response that stated whether or not anyone switches oil weights during the Winter?

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Mobil one synthetic 10w 30 in everything.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

delo 400 15w-40 in everything. a diesel oil should keep the air cooled engines real clean, and be able to handle the soot that comes from the higher running temps that the air cooled engines run at. the delo has given me the smoothest running I can get so far. even better than mobil 1, which is an exellent oil. btw, I also like that delo has a good amount of molyibdinum disulfide. go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and read "moly basics".

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Shell rotella 15/40 in the cars and trucks 2.8 v6 -350 ci chevys. John deere 10-30 (shell) in all the mowing equipment and switching to Rotella 15/40 in the spring

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not me. One oil, all the time, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.