1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oil change = 4 stiches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ray&Christine, May 30, 2003.

1. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

In the 12 years that I have been doing lawns I have never had any injury other than a small cut or wasp sting until tonight. I was changing the oil in my Walker and had the body tilted up, I thought it was locked in up position but I guess it was not. The body came down on my head and I guess it was the rear bumper that hit me. 2 hour and 4 stitches later I was home. The last place I wanted to go to was an Emergency Room with the SARS problem we are having but I guess I had no choice. Next time I guess I will put a block under it or tie the body to a rafter so I don't spill any more red stuff all over the floor.

2. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

That's terrible. I thought I had it bad when I was changing blades today. Not once, but twice I was doing the "push-pull" thing with my sockets wrenches and my bottom hand, on the underside of the mower slipped. I scraped my arm two separate times in the same manner. I cut myself brushburn style and my arm is bruised and swollen. :cry: It looks quite ugly but I am no worse for wear. After that, I just said "f it" and called my pop to come help me cause the dang blades were stuck. I hope your head feels better. Double check that thing next time. take it easy!

Madden's Mowing
  3. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

You dont mention which walker you have but Im guessing its the smaller ones where the whole body lifts up??? I have a new style GHS where the catcher goes one way and the seat goes the other. In either case does your mower use the GAS Shock things to hold the body up like mine does?

If so, I have a suggestion for you. At the auto parts store I found this little leg gizmo that you attach to the gas arm. Its designed to hold up hatchbacks so you dont have to replace the gas shock. What you do is you screw it to the top of the gas shock rod, and cut the spring loaded leg so it sits just above the shock part. When you pick the catcher/body up the little leg springs down and acts as a kickstand for the catcher. Holds it nice and safe, until u pull up the leg to let it slide back down the side of the shock. Nice and easy and adds a whole lot of safety for only a few bucks.

Get well soon.

4. Ouch....

You did'nt talk about any headaches or major pain...You had been very lucky, could ahd been worst.

And customer think we have nothing more to do than mowing their lawn....
  5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip about the gas shock. Yeah I have the small "C" model. I think the freezing is starting to wear off because my head is starting to pound. I'll have to check and see if the gas shock is bad or if I simply did not have it fully locked in place.

6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

You need to get a paramedic friend that can do stiches for you...cheaper than going to the ER!!

:blob2: :blob2:
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Very sorry to hear about the accident you just had. It could have been much worse. Please do use something in the future to block the deck and keep it from coming down on you.