Oil change for colder temps.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocutter, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I changed the oil in all my mowers last month. Not keeping in mind that SAE 30 is good to 40 degrees. Now that it is colder should I have gone with a 5 or 10W-30 to compensate. I have 2-3 more cleanups to do before storage for the winter. The mowers still run the same but I dont want to run the risk of damage.

2. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

I don't think oil weight matters above 0 degrees F.

3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

The manuals for engines say not to use SAE 30 below 40 degrees. You need to do what the manual says ALWAYS! Their engineers know a lot more than you or I ever will about their engines. I'm going to switch over to all 10w30 next year, this year I'm running 10w30 in our ZTR and SAE 30 in some of our other stuff.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In Kawasaki engines (Kohlers are probably similar) you can use straight 30 between 32 degrees F and about 95 degrees F. You can use 10w30 or 10w40 between -4 degrees F and about 95 degrees F.

5. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I don't want to sound dumb. Whats the diff between SAE 30 and 10w 30. All I run is 10w 30 in 100 degrees and in 30 degrees. If this is wrong let me know ASAP!!!

6. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

7. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Temp dropped to 15 degrees the other morining. I still have 12 or so cleanups. Equipment was very difficult to start, especially my mulching mower (Kawa engine).
    So, I changed the oil in the equipment I am still using to 10W-30 full synthetic. BIG difference in effort to start, and the engines seem to get up to operating temp and RPMs quicker.