Oil change help

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by smileydrug, Apr 10, 2006.

1. smileydrug

smileydrug LawnSite Member

I am changing the oil for the first time on my 17/42 MFT. I have tried everything imaginable to remove the drain plug, but it does not budge. I'm afraid I'm going to break the elbow of the block. Is it possible that the elbow is left-hand threaded? I'm almost tempted to pull of the muffler and use the impact wrench:nono: , but I don't think that would budge it either. Any suggestions.:cry:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is not left handed.
    Do not use a impact.
    The plug should come out with minimal effort.
    But theres always the exception....
    Talk to your dealer if you do not already have it out, thats what he is there for.
    Let me know how you make out.

Pj

3. XMT&RCV

XMT&RCV LawnSite Member
    from 28532

My dealer is of no help... Could someone please answer this question for us...

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I answered the question....
    If you can not get it out, e-mail me your information and I will get our customer service department on this ASAP.

Pj

5. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I changed the oil in my Honda powered 16/42" for the first time this weekend and it was no problem. I loosened the fill cap, put on the drain hose, stuck a 10mm (I think it was 10MM) socket on the end and turned lefty, No problems at all. I'm going to have to assume the engine you have does not share the same drain setup.

I just refered at the "parts" manual and it looks as though there is a small removable threaded piece connected to the bottom of the 90 on your unit. I didn't understand why the manual points to that piece and specifcally says in large print "PART OF THE ENGINE" though.

The oil change system is soo well though out on the Honda, you'd have to figure they would try and apply something similar to all Hustler engine/mower configurations. (SHAME ON YOU Hustler!)

Sorry to hear your having problems. If you were a little close I'd drive over and try to help.

6. XMT&RCV

XMT&RCV LawnSite Member
    from 28532

Sorry about that Pj, I should have been more clear.. I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't have time to get into detail.. what I was asking is if someone could type up a quick guideline just to make sure we are doing everything right...

Another thing, my manual is kinda off.. I have the Kohler 17hp and it mentions the optional Oil Sentry Pressure switch but the only reference in manual is a picture which I've attached as well.. should we be concerned with it.. is it a maintainence item or ignore it... I have a picture attached.. and another thing, my drain plug is different than in the manual, I've also attached the pic my drain plug it seems pretty simple but did it come like that from the factory...

Thanks Pj~:cool2:

DrainPlug.jpg

OilSentry.jpg

MTFOilSentry.jpg

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Nothing to worry about.
    Your manual shows the Honda engine drain and oil switch.
    Sorry about that...

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Okay, you have the same drain device I have on my honda. As I mentioned above, I just put a 10mm socket on the very end, cracked it open with mininal pressure (lefty - loosy, righty - tighty) and the oil came right out.

Did you buy this machine new or used? That picture makes the drian plug look as though it has more that 5hrs or so on it.

9. XMT&RCV

XMT&RCV LawnSite Member
    from 28532

nopers! just a very dusty yard... the pic was before I could hose it down...

Tucker~

10. XMT&RCV

XMT&RCV LawnSite Member
    from 28532

the pix above ^

The MTFOilSentry.jpg is of my machine.. so with this oil sentry device.. what is it and is it a maintenance free part. I wasn't sure what you were refering too when you said don't worry about it...

Tucker~