Oil Change Intervals?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Clifton, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious to know how often everybody changes the oil on their mowers. We have a QuikTrac with a 19hp kawasaki and have to change the oil and filter every 25 hours. This seems to be a bit excessive to me but maybe it is not. The owners manual says every 50 hours but that is too long. Every 25 hours is 1x per week so you can imagine the costs add up over a year. Is it the Kawasaki motor, or are all mowers that are run hard 4 days a week like this?

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the oil breaking down, what exactly is your reasoning for changing it that often? We change ours at 100 hours and the oil filter every other time, the extra filtration on the Dixies helps. We had a Kawasaki a long time ago and it broke oil down very fast, we changed it every 50 hours. I don't know why John Deere favors Kawasaki engines on most of their equipment, we have had great experiences with Kohler and Generac.

3. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

I run Amsoil synthetic & THEIR FILTER (very important). I mow 20 lawns a week & change my oil once a year. My last mower (toro 36 recycler W/kohler 14hp) lasted 10 seasons before I sold it. It's still going strong.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i haven't changed the oil in my thatcher in 6 years now. runs like golden.

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

The oil is extremely dirty and is broken down. The dealer also told us it needed to be changed this often, and to change the filter too. (We have a good relationship w/ the dealer so I know he isnt trying to sell us extra filters) We have a JD 36" and probably only change the oil 1x per year, the Kohler motors are awesome, I think that I am beginning to dislike the Kawasaki. The air filters are another big problem,,,need to be blown out everyday and replaced fairly frequently. I have a Lesco 48 wb with a 17HP Kawasaki that needs to be rebuilt with less than 500 hrs on it.

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I HAVE TORO'S with Kohlers and change oil and filter every 50.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. LawnSite Member

The guideline that has served me well with all engines ( except diesel ) is not to change oil by hours or miles but to change it when it starts to turn from dark brown to black. Every engine will be different. Diesels I change every 3000 miles or 50-60 operating hours. Never did a motor rebuid ever.

It is not so much the oil has broken down but it has become contaminated with moisture, fine metal particles you cannot see with the eye, acids etc.

8. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I hate to admit it but we change oil once every 4 months or so....Actually whenever I find the time or feel like it....On the average the mower is used on 15 quarter acre lawns a day 6 days a week....I never checked the hours but sometimes it (the oil) does get a little dark before we change it....Hasn't seemed to hurt anything tho....been using the mower for years.....Just regular oil not synth.....My new years resolution will be to change oil and filters more often tho'.

9. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I have a Kawasaki 17 HP and I change the oil and filter every 40-50 hrs. I'm running mobil 1 10W-30.
    Jhawk71

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I change oil and filters every 50 - 60 hours mainly on the monday after 50 hours when i do my weekly maintence