Oil Change Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HighGrass, Sep 24, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Has anyone ever been tempted to pour in a little fresh oil in at the end of an oil change to "flush" out the last remaining old oil?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

just change the oil warm and let it all drain out. most engine flush fluid doesn't recommend it in small engines. Some probably do - i don't know.

3. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

I'm not saying that I would do this with an "Engine Flushing Fluid", just fresh oil.

4. khouse

it can't hurt but i'm not sure it would really help either. i know by adding new oil to the engine with the plug out would no doubt run some old out ahead of the new. i think it would be so small that it would just waste your new oil.

5. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

That's what I figured. Plus I suppose where it depends how far apart the inlet and outlet are.

6. khouse

there have been very rare occasions where i worked on a small engine that even with the oil warm didn't want to flow out of the drain plug very well. i remember one was my sisters mower - very neglected engine - zero maintenance. after draining what i could get out of it i put the plug back in, poured about 1 quart of diesel into the crankcase and pulled the plug so i could spin it over by hand. i left the diesel in to for a day going over every hour or so and turning the engine by hand. when i drained the deisel out it of course was black. i let it all drain out, installed the drain plug, added new oil and cranked it over for about 30 seconds. then reinstalled the plug and let her have it back. i'm not recommending this at all. just sharing a service story.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

8. khouse

extream cases ='s extream measures. my dad told me that as a child growing up in Arkansas that his mother would give all the kids a teaspoon of kerosene to kill worms. i guess you could use kerosene in a mower that had worms? lol

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

If You Drain The Filter And Add New Oil To The Mower, Your Old To New % Would Be Very Small ,so Why Worry?:dizzy:

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't drain and re-use a oil filter on anything I own. :dizzy: