oil change question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snapper, Sep 7, 2003.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

Okay just got a single kawasaki 14 horse motor on a gravely. It has an oil filter, can i change the oil with out changing the filter? And how much oil do these hold??

Thanks guys!!
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

the owners manual for the 15 horse kawasaki on my exmark says change the filter at every other oil change. so i would say that you could change the oil and not the filter. but others on this forum have said that a filter is cheap insurance and i tend to agree with them. filters are cheap so change the filter also imo.as for how much oil it holds i think it is less than one quart you can pour it in and check the level as you go to avoid overfilling.
  3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

All kawasaki from 5-27hp use same filter.I run a fram ph4967 on my 17 & 27.Yours will use between 1-1.5quarts,I would guess.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I believe my 14 HP kawi is 1.5 qts of oil But I would use your dipstick to check as you do it to make sure you dont over or uder fill it.. I use the hastings LF410 Filters... Now WHy Filter clean oil through a dirty filter ??? I always change the filter with every oil change... It just makes sense ??