1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Change question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 30, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I am getting ready to store the Exmark away for the winter and have a question. Should I replace the oil and filter now, or wait and do it in the spring? If you do it now, do you replace the oil in the spring as well?

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I change mine in the fall and then its all set to go again in the spring. No need to change it again.
  3. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

I would go ahead and change the ouil now, i hear used oil can gunk up inside your engine, and your set to go for spring...
  4. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I agree with Stevesmowing and Beaver, best to change the oil and filter before putting away for the season. Do not let the engine bearings sit in used oil with combustion by-products/acids from ring blow-by. I also like to use fuel stabilizer for the last mow to keep carb from gumming up.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yep, I started running fuel stable through as of last week so I know it's in there. I fill the tanks as well one last time and "stabil" them as well.