Oil Change

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Something D, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

What do you guys use to drain the oil. I have a SCAG w/b and the drain plug is in a pain in the butt place. I have been draining from the plug but it leaves a mess. I know there is a tool to cyphen or suck out the oil without using the plug but the price is about $80.00. Wanted to know if there is anything cheaper to get the oil out.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is on this unit ?

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

what you need to do is buy some pipe fittings and extend your drain plug to a more convienant/less messy spot, like all the way to be back or side where you can drain directly into a pan.
    Check the local Hardware store or Home Depot for parts.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You can get some pipe fittings and extend it out and re-route it to a place you came drain it from with out making such a mess. You can also get a quick drain valve like Kohler part number 25 755 14 or Briggs part number 5401. Both are the EXACT same thing. They replace the oil drain plug on any engine that has a 1/4-18 NPT or 1/4-18 NPS oil drain plug. You place a length of vinyl tubing on the end of it when you drain the oil and it saves a lot on messes. Will not work on Honda and other engines that have metric drain plugs. I do not have a part number for a metric quick drain valve

5. Restrorob

Thats why I asked what engine it was, I was never able to find a Quick drain valve with the metric threads for Honda or Kawasaki.
    There was another thread not too long ago asking the same question.

6. fixer67

I made a mistake on the pipe size. It is NOT 1/4-18 NPT it is in fact 3/8-18. Sorry about that.

7. fixer67

I just though of something I had in a Kohler file.

oil change.JPG

8. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Its a 17hp Kawasaki. The problem I see is the Battery mount is in the way from extending it straight out.

9. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I had the 12.5 kawi on my old scag wb. Right below the drain plug was a hole in the deck. I put a pan under the hole and i used a piece of card board as a sort of backboard in the far end of the hole place vertically. The force of the oil shooting out of the engine would bounce off the cardboard and drain right into the pan below. I don't know how your is set up but I would only spill a little bit each time.

10. Restrorob

With the metric adapter Fixer67 posted you should be able to run that thing any where you want.