1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Change

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenscapes inc., Jun 11, 2006.

1. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have been changing the oil in my equipment every 100 hrs. I have heard of people changing oil every 50 hrs or even 25 hrs. Am I stretching my oil change intervals too far?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a hard question, How many hours do you have on the machines? On most of my equipment, I think it states to change the oil at 50 hours and the filter at 100 hours. I never did like the idea of putting clean oil in a dirty filter so I change oil and filter at 50 hours. If you have alot of hours and its working then it may be ok. I was a heavy truck mechanic for 20 years, the main reason to change oil isnt because the oil is worn out.....its to remove the dirt and by-products of combustion

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you are running in dry, dusty, hot conditions you arent stretching it too far.
  4. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

My equipment has anywhere from 90 hours to almost 600 hours. I have always changed every 100 hours and so far so good. So when is everyone else changing? Every 50hrs?
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If dipstick looks like it has dirty oil then drain a little oil out to see how black it is. That can determine if you need to change it quicker than the maintenance schedules says to change it.
  6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

every 100 hrs and filters air, oil and fuel
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Mobil1 and filter every 100 hrs. This is how I've always done it and have never had a lubrication problem yet. :)

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

Does anyone use synthetic oil? Whats every ones thoughts here?

9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I change the oil and oil filter in all my 4 cycle engines on mowers, blowers etc every 35-40hrs. I use Quaker State 10W-30 non-synthetic, and Kawasaki OEM oil filters.
  10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used it myself and I know others on this site have also. Do a search on synthetic oil and you will find threads posted by operators who use only synthetic oil.