Oil change?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 27, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I just got a Exmark metro and am changing the oil for the 1st time ,after the first 8 hours of use per the owners manual.
    --What type of oil is best SAE 30?
    --Can i use synthetic instead of conventional oil?
  2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

What kind of engine is it? Engine owners manual probably has the answer to your question.
  3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Your ownerÂ’s manual should recommend what weight oil to use for what temperature ranges you will most likely be in.

Yes you can run synthetic oil. You may want to break it in with a petroleum oil (faster break in).
  4. kona

kona LawnSite Member

15 hp kawasaki twin cyl
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

SAE 30 is what you need and I usually run non-synthetic for the first 100 hours then switch it to Mobil 1.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

im no enging oil expert but the research I did supports exactly what Barkleymut told you...sae30 to break in... then synthetic is ok
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mobil 1 synthetic
  8. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark metro w/ 15 hp kawasaki. It has 9 hours on it . I am currently using SAE oil. What type of MOBIL 1 OIL should i use. 10w30-10w40? My owners manual says that these types of oil burn faster, is that true? What do you use?
    THANKS, I really do appreciate your help!!!!!
    I am just starting out.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

After a long discussion with Fred at eXmark on this subject, I believe we came to the conclusion of 10w-30. 10w-40 if your in extremes.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should use Mobil 1 10w30. It is true that they will use a little more oil but it should not even be enough to add any between oil changes.