Oil Change

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by amrupp, Oct 17, 2002.

1. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

I have a Lazer HP, 44 with 19 Kaw. Changing the oil is not the easiest thing without spilling oil all over the engine deck. Is it all right to use one of those syphoning contraptions that stick a long skinny hose down the oil dipstick hole and remove oil that way? This method sure is a lot easier, but I'm concerned I won't be able to adequately drain all the oil.

Thanks for your help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

amrupp,

I know this sounds silly but before you make an investment is such a device I'd recommend a couple of other things to consider first.

A. make sure you using the oil drain on the LH side of the engine below the starter and not the plug that is flush with the engine block on the RH side. I know it sounds a little silly but we don’t do a good job of pointing out which plug to use in the manual and the correct one is almost completely hidden from view. Trust me you wouldn’t be the first and you won’t be the last either. Sometimes what appears to be obvious is NOT the correct thing to do.

B. If your unit is equipped with a pipe/elbow/plug or just a plug you can update your machine to a pipe/valve arrangement that is really nice. It'll get rid of the mess issue for you. You can order the parts from your dealer under p/n 103-1966 for the pipe and p/n 103-1965 for the valve.

It works great! You slide the pan under the rear of the engine deck, open the valve, let it drain and close. All of the oil actually goes into the pan or onto the driveway floor if you don't place the pan correctly but very little of it gets on the engine deck.

Thanks

Terry

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Toro does the same thing, I can't understand why the manufacturers know of these problems but dont come up with a viable solution and INCORPORATE it into the machine as brand new. Even my Z-Master which has the pipe deal is not effective and you still have to use a rolled up piece of cardboard to NOT to get oil all over the deck. Then to make matters worse the oil filter attaches to the maching in such a way that the threaded end points down. YES, I know about the little drain plug at the bottom but where do you think the drain plug drains the oil to........you guessed it, all over the deck.

Same thing on Exmark, after all they are Toro's or vise versa. :D

Come on guy's, fix these minor problems and incorporate the cost into the machine. I'd be happy to pay the extra $50-100.00 bucks to NOT get oil all over my machines. Thanks

Scott

4. eXmark

Scott,

My apologies I should have been more clear in my description. You've probably got the pipe/elbow/plug. What you need is the pipe/valve. This is a fairly recent addition to the mower and should eliminate the problem and it won't even cost you 50 - 100 potatoes. It will however cost you about 15-20 potatoes to do it yourself.

I just went out to look at one to make sure I knew what I was taking about. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

I'll pass your comments along about the oil filter to Kawi and Kohler. Never could figure that one out myself but until they I find out for sure I'll assume they have a reason. It may even be a good reason.

Thanks

Terry

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer installed the drain valve on my new TTHP 48" 17hp Kawi BEFORE I left with the machine. Oil changes are a snap, just open the valve and drain into a pan below. Money well spent! IMHO it should be a standard setup from the factory.

6. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

On my Lazer I took a que from my Cub Tank and have a 12" Hydraulic hose and a $2 adapter from my dealer. Total cost $7 and 15 minutes while changing oil filters. Now I have a hose at the back of my mower to drain out the oil. I prefer to change my oil and filter often, I believe in the adage, the cheapest thing you put in an engine is oil.

The little plastic Exmark / Kawasaki valve was a frustration every time we went to use it. It would either not seal, or you would feel it was about to break off when loosening it, if it did not strip.

A small blemish on an otherwise excellent machine, but they do listen to these forums and tech line calls, look at the gas caps now days.

Al B

7. eXmark

Al B,

We've seen the hose type of set up on several different brands of mowers over the years. I think you might like the new valve. It operates more like a water valve. Turn the valve the oil drains out, turn it back the oil flow stops. Pretty simple and very effective. Plus no hoses to wear holes in from the constant vibration of the mower.

Thanks

Terry