1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to know how often most of you change the oil on your polw trucks? I change mine every 3000 miles but I've heard I should change it every 2000, do you think thats a good idea or is it over kill? Thank's.....Kraco_1

2. Guest

good idea if you go to a shop to do it see if you can get a fleet-commercial discount and tell them you want it done every 2000 you may be able to bargain a deal

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

A set mileage is really useless with plow trucks,we should service by hrs,but we can only guess.I just look at it,when it gets real dark and it gets ahrd to see the lines thru the oil,its time for me.If you have a plow truck that runs on the hot side with the blade on,you should be changing it often,along with your ATF fluid if its an auto.

4. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I change the oil in all my vehicles at 3-4k, i use mobil 1.

5. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Yeah that's kinda what I thought to. The guy that told me that owns a fleet of Taxicabs and I think they change it at 2000 miles because there cabs run 24 hours a day and most of that is at slow speeds. I'm sure that's gota be hard on an engine. So I'll keep doing mine at 3000 miles. Thank's.

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I keep track of the hours plowing, and x that by 60. I then add to that the miles that I have driven since last oil change, and when that number gets to 2500, I change my oil.
    Some times I may only go 1000 odometer miles, but it has the = to 2500 driven miles at 60 mph. Just a ratio I use.
    Dino

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good idea Dino. I usually change mine whenever it's starts to get dark enough to make me wonder. I also change my trans fluid about every other oil change. Maybe that's overkill, but I figure that the abuse a transmission takes from plowing, it can't hurt to change it often. Plus, it's pretty easy for me to do since I have a lift at work.

-Tim

8. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our trucks see less 5000 miles a year so we change once in the fall and once in the spring.The heavy equipment only does snow,so once a year for them.

9. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I usualy change my oil every 2500 miles, that way when I dont get around to it for a week it hasn't gone over 3000 miles. I count hours A truck is out plowing. From the time it get's started to the time the jobs done. Then I multiply the hours by 50 miles or more depending on how long the truck was plowing and how heavy the snow was. It gets hard to remember when the oil was changed and how many miles to add for plowing especialy since the intervals aren't nice even numbers anymor ie 66,000, so I just right it all down in a daily log. I run prolong engine treatment
    and regular mobil oil. So far I havent blown anything up.

10. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Hour meters only cost $30 or so. The diesel gets changed, year round, at 100 hours. The gas engines get 150 hour changes because they don't have the soot to deal with that a diesel does. I don't even record the mileage reading when we service - everything is done by the hourmeter. For service items according to the maintenance schedule, I figure a long-term average vehicle speed of 30 mph.