1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil changes, how often with you ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fatboy5803, Apr 15, 2003.

1. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kawasaki 15hp motor, the book says after the initial change at 8 hrs. Go to every 100 hrs. and 200 hrs. for the filter..
    I think I'll change filter every time and every 50 hrs. Whats ya'lls thoughts on this, and how often do you change your engines oil :confused:

Lou :cool:
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Fatboy, I change oil every 25 to 30 hours and filters every second oil change. Everything but my tractor and truck gets this treatment.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, I have a 17 hp kaw, and it says to change at 50 hrs, but at around 30-40 it is time for new oil. The filter says every other change but she gets a new filter every change. On the 23 it says oil at 100 hrs, but it needs it sooner. I am going to get the heave filteration for the 23 kaw this year, mabey it will get more hrs before the oil gets so dirty.
  4. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I am doing the oil and filter every 25 hours on my Walker. As you already know from Harleys, air cooled engines run really hot and mowers are exposed to alot of dust.

Heat and dust are an engines worst eneimes, and can cause oil to break-down. I think 25 hours is cheap insurace. Dj
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

IT is cheap insurance to change oil sooner than noted...some do 25 hours most do it at 50 hours....few with synthetics will do it at 100-200 hrs. I personally do it at 50 hrs.....figuring that some guys might put 30-60 hrs a week on these mowers if they change oil every 25 hrs thats 2 filters & 2-5 quarts of oil per week per mower. That adds up to be alot of $$$ a year on oil changes.
  6. Good points. Those “recommended” times might be for ideal conditions where you’re cutting 1/3 of the blade of pure, thick, clean grass. My reality is weeds and lots of dust. I don’t use cheap oil, but the expensive long-lasting synthetic oils don’t make much financial sense when I’m changing oil 2-3 times a month. As dirty as the oil gets, I’m not taking any chances with skimping on the filter. So the filter gets changed every time as well.
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I do an oil and oil filter change every 50 hours. It's not really dusty here untill the fall during leaf clean up.

I also put the Donaldson type air filters on every mower that I could get one for.

I clean the air filters weekly and change them quarterly. They don't really look like they need changing. But consider the size of some of the particulate it's filtering. This buildup reduces the filters "area rule" or surface area of the filter. This reduces it's capability to provide a sufficient quanity of filtered air to the carb. This "could" cause the engine to run lean, increasing heat and damage.

I figure if you're changing the oil it's crazy NOT to change the filter too. Cheap insurance.
  8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I change oil and filter every 25 hrs on my Exmark 20hp Kohler.
    Maybe a little excessive but its cheap insurance.
  9. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Our Kubota ZD-21 calls for oil changes at 100 hours and oil filter changes at 200 hours. I comply with both recommendations but use Delvac 1 diesel engine oil and ACDelco UPF1127 synthetic media oil filters.

More frequent oil changes than recommended have some benefit in my opinion. I am less convinced that changing oil filters and air filters sooner than recommended is a good idea. Here's why:

Filters filter better as they accumulate soil. At the same time, restriction begins to increase. These facts and many more are known to the engine and equipment maker. Manufacturers provide filter safety margins sufficient to accommodate a range of usage. Some will say that if conditions are abnormal, to change filters more often. But for most of us, our filters will filter better the longer they are used, up to at least the recommended change interval.

On my Kubota ZD-21 with a Nelson air filter assembly, I installed a Fleetguard air restriction indicator. With this helpful gauge, I will not change the air filter element until the filter restriction rises to the yellow "change filter" marker.

Some cars now come with sophisticated sensors that assess multiple bits of information in order to signal when the oil needs changing. I expect this technology to improve and to become more widely used in coming years.
  10. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everybody for the response's, allot of good reading of different opinions.. I'll look at the oil at 25 hrs. and see what it looks like, being a mechanic by trade it's a new world with lawn equipment, learning new s--- !! I'm not sure if I agree with the oil filters work better dirtier??? Some air filters are designed to do this.. I've never heard of oil filters doing this.. Maybe it's true, as Kohler recommended it also,, maybe more to it than I know.. All auto's, motor cycles, I've ever owned had both changed together. Thanks Again !

Lou :cool: