Oil Changes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Highlander, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Highlander

Highlander LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hello to everyone!

I have been visiting this site for a few months but have just registered this evening. I have learned a great deal from everyone here and appreciate all the great information. My question is:

The Kohler manufacturer recommends changing the oil/filter on my 22 HP Command every one hundred hours, but the local dealer rep recommends every twenty five hours with filter change every 50 hours. I live in central Florida where the summers are hot. What do you guys do/recommend?
    Thanks!

Jim
    Lawns Plus

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oil AND Filter every 50 hours. I use Valvoline 10w30 in everything.

3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Change every 50 hours. How much does it cost for a quart of oil and a filter? A lot cheaper than a new engine.

4. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

change oil every 35-50 hours. ALWAYS change filter too. Why contaminate new oil with a used old filter? Filters are a lot cheaper than an overhaul!

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

if you run amsoil oil with the bypass filter, you only need to change annually or every 1000 hours, whichever comes first.

i have a few customers that run this and the oil is as clean as new every change.

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I always change oil and filter every 50 hours of operation. It is a cheap insurance!

7. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

MY DEALER TOLD ME TO RUN STRAIGHT 30 WEIGHT OIL IN ALL AIR COOLED ENGINES. THEY RUN TEN TIMES HOTTER THAN LIQUID COOLED AND WILL BE BETTER OFF IN THE LONG RUN. ALSO CHANGE THE FILTER WITH THE OIL CHANGE THE OVERHAUL IS A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A LITTLE FILTER.

JUST A THOUGHT:)

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I change the oil every 50 hours and the filter every 100 hours on my 25 Kohler. I have opened up the oil filter after removing it from several different brands of engines and I really see no point in changing the filter more often. Even after 100 hours there is still nothing inside of the filter.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Are You saying That If I Use amsoil And fillter That i Only at Least Will Change The Oil Every Season? That's about 300 Hours On My Personal Lazer with the 26Hp Kohler.
    Thank you Johnny G.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i was told once by a mechanic change filter once or twice a year, not saying thats right.

Seemed too long to me, but we don't change filter every oil change. oil gets done once a week, filter usually about once a month, depending on conditions. a month works out to about 100 hr.