Oil Cooler Retrofit For 23 hp Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SLS, Mar 2, 2002.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yep, I did a "search" and spent the better part of the day at the local parts houses...so now I need to ask the pros...

I want to retrofit my 23 hp Kawasaki (FH680D horizontal) with an external oil cooler. This engine is on an Exmark Lazer Z.

Anyone know where I might can purchase such a kit (or build it myself)? Finding the adaptor that goes on the existing oil filter plate seems to be the key piece that I need as the rest of the oil cooling kit is available on the aftermarket and I can fabricate the mounting hardware in my shop.

Any info, ideas, or tips, is much appreciated!

I also want to do the same thing to the hydro system...but one project at a time. :)

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

3. SLS

from Mars

Thanks for the info Richard!

I'll measure the oil filter landing to see if maybe the 'universal' kit will work. The rest of them appear to be for automotive applications. I saw several yesterday at the parts houses that were for small block Chevrolet or small block Ford applications.

I was searching using the keywords with 'cooler' in them. I tried "oil filter adapter'' as you suggested but only one of the threads came close to what I'm looking for. The rest dealt with oil and oil filters...and be benefits of 'coolers'. I did see where one guy moved his filter to a outboard location added a 'finned-wraparound' thing on the oil filter on a Scag Tiger but I'm wanting to do the radiator-type cooler.

I think I have seen somewhere where one of the manufacturers offers a oil cooler on a machine that has a 25hp or 27 hp Kawasaki. Once I confirm this then all I will need to know is if the oil filter landing is the same on the 23hp. and go from there. If this is the case I should be able to order the correct adapter from Kawasaki.

The search continues............ :D

Anyone else tried this retrofit or have any ideas?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

SLS wrote:
    I'll measure the oil filter landing to see if maybe the 'universal' kit will work. The rest of them appear to be for automotive applications.

Actually if you find out the size of the "pipe thread" coming out of the engine you should be able to use the 20 or 22 mm adapter. It is the same filter that is used on small Toyota 4 cylinder engines.

5. SLS

from Mars

Thanks Richard. Off to see if I can find those specs now. :)