oil drain extension

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Mar 10, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know much about extending the drain plug to make changing oil easier on some engines I noticed the big block Briggs has two drain plugs and they are difficult to get to. I guess I would need the thread size and find a place to order them from. Some mowers that I've had came stock with some sort of extension to make this an easier task. So I guess the question is where to buy.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Hey Buddy

Just about any hardware store will have fittings you can use. I would take in the part from the block you wish to connect up if that is possible. If you have an idea how you want to route it, you can get a few pieces and a valve to make oil changes much easier. I have seen some flexible tubes that connect on to the drain assembly for more control, although I don't know if I would count on them to stay on the mower all the time.

Good luck

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say just go to your local hardware store with the pipe size that you need. Most all will adapt to extend to any lengh that you want.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into northern tool i got one for a 24 honda.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For the Briggs it should have a standard pipe threaded plug. If you have a hydraulic hose company nearby have them make you about a one foot long piece of hose with the correct fitting on one and a cap on the other. Just screw the cap off of the hose when you want to change the oil and it flows right out. This is what Dixie Choppers have been using for years and it works great.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That is a great idea Richard. I did have a similar flex hose on one of my mowers in the past. The only problem I could see for Tacoma would be, I recently went to a hydralic shop to have a small section of hose made with a fitting on each end....:dizzy: Lets just say they charged plenty! Maybe He would have better luck with a decent price. It is a great idea if it is not to much coin.

7. tacoma200

Well I have owned several brands of mowers and this was just the first one that didn't have some sort of easy way to get to the drain (usually an extension). It's not all that bad it is a little tight and of course the oil will have to flow over part of the frame. No big deal. The big block Briggs has two drain plugs, one on each side which is also strange to me. I don't think you have to remove both but the manual doesn't say. I'll see what I can find even though I'm a little uneasy about not doing it correctly and loosing my oil. It may be more trouble than its worth extending it.

8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Tacoma you do not have to pull both plugs to drain the oil i have a 10hp briggs on a generator that i have and it has 2 drain plugs also. I believe that there are multipul drain plugs because the same engines will be used in many different applications and even though you may be able to get to both of yours they may be un able to be reached in some other applications that are not lawn mowers where only one side ofthe block is accessable. It just makes it easier to use the same engine for many different purposes insted of having 2 seperate production engines to serve basicly the same purpose. Basicly makes the engine more versatile

9. tacoma200

Thanks pclawncare, that's what I was thinking.

10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the best conclusion i have come to. I know for a fact that you dont have to remove both plugs though because i asked my dealer the same question