1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Drain on Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Jul 23, 2002.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I put an aftermarket oil drain valve on my Kawasaki 17 hp to keep from spilling. The problem is if I twist it on tight, the opening points up-if I loosen it up just enough to point it down, it very slowly leaks. I am no mechanic.
  2. 2 Black Thumbs

2 Black Thumbs LawnSite Member

Would it be possible to use teflone(sp?) tape and then you could control how many times you could tighten it without compromising the seal on the connection? Just my 2 cents.! 2BT
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It only needs to point sideways. Just put a hose on it and you can drain the oil anywhere you like. All of mine have hoses on them.

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

I have a toro w/ the 17 kaw engine and I know what you are talking about, Get a oil vac and suck the oil out, they work great. Good luck, Brian:dizzy:
  5. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Permatex 2 I believe will be the cure for what ails you. Available at any decent auto parts store. Did your Kawasaki have that real funny big thread on the end? Are you sure it is leaking from the threads?

Al B
  6. Cut This!

Cut This! LawnSite Member

Is your oil drain the plastic type supplied by Kawasaki?

If so, it's built like a hydraulic fitting. It is really two pieces with an O-ring fitting.

The part closest to the engine will have two flats (nut) and will tighten the fitting. The main part of the fitting will be the T-shaped drain.

Loosen the "nut" and rotate the drain to any desired position, then screw the nut against the engine and the o-ring will keep it from leaking.

It's possible your nut is tight against the T and the T is screwed in too far. Try backing the T out one full turn, then tighten the nut.

Good luck!:cool: