oil/dust seal leaking.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TClawn, May 3, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

this is on a kohler command CV18s.

the oil seal (where the power take off comes through the oil pan) is leaking.

how do I go about changing the seal? do I have to take the oil pan off? or can I do it with it on there? do I need an special tools to do this? thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I replace these seals all the time,I use a automotive seal popper which is probably something you don't have. A standard screw driver will do,With the engine on its side take the screw driver and insert it at a angel with the handle a couple inches from the pan between the inner part of the seal and the crank,LIGHTLY tap the driver with a small hammer untill its under the metal lip of the seal and push the handle down against the pan. Do this in several places around the seal and one of the times will pop it out of the pan.
    To install the new seal I use a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal with a cap on one end.
    (Be careful not to gouge the crankshaft)
    I use this method on all engines.

14yr Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

3. TClawn

so the screw driver goes between the inner part of the seal and the pto?

4. Restrorob

(blade)
    You are calling the pto the crankshaft are you not ? one side of the driver will be facing the seal and the other side will be facing the crankshaft !
    (blade)

5. TClawn

well isn't the crankshaft and the pto (power take off) the same thing? what I am trying to get at, is that the screw driver goes on the INSIDE of the seal, and not on the perimeter, right?

6. Restrorob

Yes they are I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page with you,and yes put it on the inside.

7. TClawn

thanks a lot.

8. Restrorob

Glad to be of help :cool2: