Oil Extractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashs inc, Oct 17, 2006.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

I was dreading changing the oil in my mowers at the end of the season. Was wondering if any one used one of these pela oil extractors?

heres the web site
    http://www.pelaproducts.com/description.htm

Seems like a good idea to me!!!

2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Looks like a neat idea. Let us know if you get one and how well it works. I might think about getting one fo them to tryo out. It would sure beat the crap out of making a mess with oil all over the place. My biggest problem is taking the oil filter off without making a mess... No matter ho much i try it just pours oil all over the place.....

3. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

i use one similiar to that for my oil changes. purchased it from northern tool. best 100 bucks i ever spent!!! no mess, no hassle, no headaches.

4. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

i use one similiar to that for my oil changes. purchased it from northern tool. best 100 bucks i ever spent!!! no mess, no hassle, no headaches. mine hooks up to an air compresor.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the PL-650 and I have another unit from another company that I can hook to shop air. They both work great the 650 is nice for mobile jobs or areas with no compressor. A hint for when your done pulling out the oil stick the tube real qick into the gas tank to clear your line so it won't leak oil were ever you store it. :)

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I have two Pela PL-650 units and love them.

One I use for any oil type substance - this is the dirty one. It is used to suck oil, gear lube, lubricants from the boat, the gearbox on the Bushhog, and tranny fluid. When changing the tranny fluid in a car there is most often no drain plug. The standard procedure is to slowly loosen the pan bolts and let the fluid run over the sides of the pan. I use the extractor to remove most of the fluid through the filler hole, then take the pan off without getting fluid everywhere - very slick.

The other extractor I keep free of oil. This one is used exclusively for sucking coolant or straight water. This allows me to remove enough coolant from a vehicle to change a thermostat or water pump, then filter the coolant and put it right back in. The extractor simply gets rinsed out after that. The operation saves me from climbing under the vehicle to open the drain plug on the rad, and possibly contaminating the fluid when it runs across the rad support or another frame member.

To operate the Pela unit you put the extraction tube down the dipstick hole (say), pump the unit a few times to create a vacuum inside, and walk away!! The unit extracts the oil by itself, and even shuts off if the extractor is full.

The side of the extractor is marked so you can tell exactly how much you took out - very useful with transmissions, coolant etc.

The extractor may not help with the mess made when removing the oil filter. It will only suck oil from the bottom of the sump and won't get the stuff trapped in the filter.

I warm up the engine like I do with any oil change, then shut it off and extract the dirty oil. There isn't a drain plug made that gets every drop of oil out of an engine, fact of life. The extractor takes out at least as much as I get by pulling a drain plug, in some cases more.

I 100% agree with the earlier poster - excellent product, money well spent.

deej

7. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

MowerMedic,

Gas to clear the line - now there is a very useful tip!!! I usually hang the tubes over a drip pan. I like your idea much better!

deej

8. ashs inc

from alabama

THIS IS WHY I LOVE AND READ LAWNSITE EVERYDAY. Thank you every one who gave your opinion on the pela. I was wondering if it was a good tool and i can see that those who have it love it. Thanks again I am ordering it now for $38 if anybody wants the link i will give it to them.

NEIL

9. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

ashes inc----link,link

10. ashs inc

from alabama