Oil filter came loose, engine ran out of oil!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by k12lts, Sep 5, 2006.

1. k12lts

k12lts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I bought a used Exmark HP with the Kawasaki 23hp engine three weeks ago and the dealer serviced the engine just before he delivered it. We have only put 10 hours on the machine and Saturday just after we started mowing, the engine pulled down and stopped. We looked at the engine and noticed it was covered with oil around and below the filter. The filter was loose and all the oil had pumped out. We let it cool down for a few hours and tightened the filter, added new oil and the engine started and sounds fine. I drove it around to the shop and shut it off and it was leaking oil again. The filter was loose again. This time when I tried to tighten the filter I noticed the threads were stripped.

The dealer installed the filter and I trust the mechanic. Did he get a filter with bad threads? I'm sure he;'s changed thousands of them, I don't think he would overthighten it.

Does the engine have a low oil shut off?

Did this damage the engine?

The machine is a little over one year old and has 210 hours, it's still under warranty.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like he put a Kohler filter on your Kawi engine. Threads are different.

I would have taken a LOT of pictures, and he would be putting on a new engine if it was my mower.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I would think you'd be in the market for a new oil filter adapter at the very least

I guess you can consider yourself lucky.

Is it possible that oil filter bottomed out on the threads as opposed to bottoming out on the rubber gasket and when it was over tightened the threads got stripped. Which means the filter was tightened by a wrench and not by hand...

once the filter snugs up on the gasket, worst case it 1/4-1/2 turn more and then leave it be.

How much grass did you end killing... from all of the oil...

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

im afraid that your engine has internal damage that will show up in the future.

5. k12lts

k12lts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The dealer gave me a new oil filter to try and when I took the other one off I compared numbers, they are different. The one the shop put on was for a Honda and the threads are different. The engine sounds fine now but I'm concerned about future damage. What do you think?

Does anyone know if this engine has a low oil shut down system? I put two quarts in before I started it the first time and drove it 100' to the shop and it was leaking again but still running. When I changed the filter today it took 1.5 quarts to fill it up. It only holds two quarts.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be wanting a brand new engine.

They're mess-up, not yours.

7. MarcSmith

I'd hate to force the dealer into anything, but it does sound like their screw up. if the kawi has a low oil shut-off, i doubt any damage was done. get a compression and leak down test done and compare it to a brand new or very low hour model/ Drop the pan and look to see if you have any metal in the bottom of the pan... and check for play int he crank/rod

The fact the engine was run out of oil, whether your fault or the dealrs, the engine warranty is done, gone, kaput....

I would not ask the dealer for a new engine right off, I would ask that any abnormal engine wear issues or strange sounds that arise be covered by the dealer. up until 2K hours....Get it in writing...

If the dealer scoffs at this, then you need to contact kawasaki and let them know that they have a dealer who can't service their engine properly.

To put ona filter with the wrong threads, They had to be ham fisted to put it on... and not realize that something was wrong...

8. k12lts

k12lts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just got off the phone with Kawasaki, they provide an oil pressure switch that will turn on a light but the Exmark does not have one. This motor does not have a low oil shut down. This tells me the engine seized when it ran out of oil but started when it cooled.

I haven't had the conversation with the dealer yet but I had also thought about the dealer providing an extended warranty on the engine in writing.

I've got about two hours of mowing to do tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

9. MarcSmith

If the engine comes with a low oil pressure switch, it would be possible for it to be wired to a engine shut-off switch by Exmark....rather than to a light...
    as part of the wiring harnes from exmark. If it was running then came to a screaching halt, then you probably have some metal transfer. I guess you need to find out from Exmark if they wire up the oil pressure sender in their harness.

10. k12lts

k12lts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I hope that's the case, but I added 1.5 qts to an engine that only holds 2 qts when I changed the filter today and it was still running when I parked it.