1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oil filter cross reference

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Sam Land, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Sam Land

Sam Land LawnSite Member

I am looking for an automotive oil filter such as Fram,Purolator,etc.that will replace Kohler #1205001-S .This is for a 20hp mower engine.
  2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

WIX filter # is 51056.

Oreilly's auto parts carries WIX.
  3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

CarQuest also carries WIX..
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's one thing to change oil twice a year on 3 separate machines and getting frustrated with the high cost of OEM filters, but then I also run synthetic oils and I'm not too sure I can recommend an aftermarket for any other type of application (such as a conventional oil ran engine), but at a cost differential of $7 - $12 per filter, this once / year thing for one mower, is it that bad?

If it is, what you do is take your used oil filter to your favorite auto parts store, walk to the oil filter section, and start pulling those boxes that look like they might be the right size, then you compare gasket diameter and thread width and pitch, until you find the right one that fits. Do not forget to replace every box you pull where you found it, pay for the right one and keep the tab on the box with the filter number on it so you don't lose the info for next time, maybe write it down someplace as well.

Once you find the right filter, get two, and make sure to keep the extra in a plastic bag balled up, to keep moisture from rusting out the metals, and to save yourself a trip to the store the next time around.

Because that's what I had to go through for each of my engines, and I don't mind so much giving advice from time to time, but I do get tired of the information pilfering when there is this work and research involved, it's just not the kind of thing I like giving out freely all the time (and, I don't know what aftermarket would fit the 20hp Kohler, thou I am 98% sure there exists one).

But, you go through the above procedure one time and you have your filter.