1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Filter for 21HP Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, Mar 8, 2005.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I have a ZTR with a 21 HP Kaw engine (FH641V). Where is the best place to buy the oil filter, and what type of engine oil is best? I'm a homeowner, so is a good 10-W-40 good enough, or should I go with synthetic?
  2. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I buy my oil filters at j-thomas. Click here and look at bottom of page:

I also use 10w-40 oil from walmart and have had no problems.
  3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Do you or anyone have an opinion on opti oil. I bought it with the Hustler because it allegedely double my Honda engine warranty from 2 years to 4 years. It was $35 for six.

4. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

I would also appreciate any advice on choice of oil filters. I recently purchased a Dixon Ram 44 with Honda 20hp for use on my own property only.
    Genuine Honda filters cost about $25 (australian), about equivalent to 5 litres of oil or I can get filters that look the same from a discount car part shop for around $5 each.
    Since I will probably only be doing about 50 hours per year, at the monent I am inclined to play safe and use the genuine ones but I would still like to know if I am being taken advantage of.
    One option is to hack open one of each and see how they compare inside.
  5. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I've never used the opti oil before, but it the company doubled the engine warranty and the dealer is also backing it up then it sounds like it was well worth it.
  6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

Well if you are only putting 50 hours per year on then you should only need to change your oil once or maybe twice per year. If it were me, I would use the genuine filters while the motor is still under warranty just so there is no chance they could blame an engine failure on the filter. After the warranty I would swtich to the lower cost filters. I have always used aftermarket filters on my equipment and have never had any problems.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the John Deere Kawi filters. They are priced cheaper but with high quality. I don't like the off brands that mail order places use. I ran Opti4 in my kawis for several years. Very good oil, just expensive. I switched to Shell Rotella 15w-40 a few years ago and will not go back. Just as good but much cheaper.
  8. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

It is expensive, but it doubled my warranty on a new Honda. Had to do it.
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer was having and open house last week and had alot of his commercial guys in the shop giving us tips of routine maintenece and troubleshooting problems. We were told that alot of car manufactures oil filters are made for a higher pressure oil system and that most of the kawi- kohler -briggs engines only have a 2-3 psi systems and that a car filter is too restrictive and will bypass the filter and not filter the oil. I dont know but that is just what I was told ;)
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some mfg's have the same warrenty if you use their oil.

What you didn't understand is, its not doubling the warrenty, its just doubling the oil warrenty. The mfg's warrenty covers virtually anything. The opti doesn't. If something breaks in the motor, if its not oil related...you don't get the warrenty. They can double it because they know that any mfg defects will break before the original warrenty runs out. They also know that oil related failures will not occur in 4 yrs. You can run any brand of oil and not have a failure in 4 yrs.

So basically, save your money. Get a good HDEO and change oil at 50 hours and you will never have a problem that will not surface anyway during the original mfg warrenty period.