1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil filter, Oil, Sparkplugs, and my screwy Lawnsite account!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Aug 5, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anyone who knows of a more common oil filter that will fit on my kawasaki engine (19 HP FH601V)? Is there a reason why I can't go down to Autozone, walmart, etc and find a filter that will fit on my mower? I wouldn't mind getting kawasaki ones the problem is all the mowershops are somewhat far away. Anyone know how I can find some info regarding this issue, or have some product names and numbers that you know will fit. Same with sparkplugs, what brands (Champion, NGK, Bosch, etc) and product numbers fit in that engine? ( Kawai 19HP FH601V) Any preferences, how about those double or triple plugs I have seen bosch make? Any benefits from those? Any idea what the gap should be on the plugs?

Any info about synthetic oils would be nice. What are the pro's and con's? Are some brands better than others? My kawai engine has 1193 hrs on it, is this a good or bad time to begin using synthetic oil, I know you don' want to use it when the engine is new, but I have heard that if it to old/used it won't benefit me either? Anyone's 2 cents on this would be appreciated.

Also, any idea why my account is not keeping track of threads that I have subscribed to and some of my private messages? Private messages just dissapear after i have read them and not deleted them and the threads I subscribe to say I am subscribed, but when I try to "view all subscribed threads" it shows none. I have talked to some type of webmaster or moderator in the past but don't remember who it was and I don't think I got a response. Is anyone else having these problems? Who Do I ask to help me with this problem?

(BTW, please dont give me the ol' "Why don't you look in your manual?" routine. If I HAD a manual I would look, if it wasn't 9:46 at night, and if I could ever get done mowing before the stinkin' shops close I'd figure it out myself. THANKS!!)
  2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help with cross referance numbers for filters but can give a mail order place. www.mowmore.com Good prices and great service. If you do a search you can find other mail order places. I run straight 30 W Shell motor oil with no problems. It has 600 hours. Matt
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if your 19 Kaw uses the same filter as my 15 Kaw, but the stock filter on the 15 crossed with a Purolator L14476. Nice to be able buy them close instead of the 20 min drive to my dealer, not to mention saving a few bucks.
  4. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

lqmustang and for all of those who do this same thing, how were you able to determine what filter will fit? Was there a book in the store you could find to look at or what?? Anyone else out there have some more suggestions? How bout that synthetic oil?
  5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see, an NGK spark plug would be a BPR4ES, Champion would be RN12YC, Bosch would be WR7DC. Gap should be .030.

As for filters, have no idea. Buy what fits.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Just make sure the filter you get has a by-pass valve or you could blow the engine. A by pass valve lets oil by pass the filter if it get clogged so the engine can still get oil. Some filters DO NOT have by pass valves because the machines they are used on have the oil by pass built in to the oil pump in the engine. You can tell if the filter has a by pass valve just by looking in it most of the time. You will see the spring that controls the by pass valve plate. I have seen some good engine trashed by using filters without by pass valves. I am not sure but I thank Fram has an on-line cross reference for filters
  7. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

go to advance auto parts if you have one in your area. i just bought one the other day and i was 2.00 cheaper than at the dealer
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I fired mowmore years ago. Try www.j-thomas.com They know their stuff and prices and service is excellent.
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Sailor, try the synthetic oil it is better, period.