1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jahbp, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

$18 for a hydro oil filter for my turf tracer what the hell is that about?:dizzy::dizzy:
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Cost of business and dealer mark up.
  3. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer sells a Kaw oil filter for my mower. They charge $10 for it. I cross ref the number to other brand filters at Autozone and it came up with a STP filter for a motorcycle for $3.50. Come to find out, the filters are made by the same company, just painted and packaged differently.
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stick with dealer recomended filter exspecially for warranty reasons.
  5. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I just got done with a 12$ filter from my dealer....crossed the number with napa today and they sell them for 2.60$ Im going with napa from now on
  6. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Warranty is up already. I am saving my money. It is the same exact filter, only one says STP and the other says Kawasaki.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I once had a Kohler engine that was out of warranty by a couple of months with a ticking problem. I complained to my dealer about it and he told me to bring it in and he'll see what he could do. They repaired the engine for free despite the fact that it had a Purolator Pure One filter on it. It'n not the manufacturers who are denying warranty due to non stock filters, it's the dealers.
  8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember, it is up to a dealer, auto or mower, to prove that it was the filter that caused a problem if the engine was under warranty. Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 ring a bell? If the filter meets the specs, ie size of the filter material's porosity, then just because it isn't from the maker of the engine/mower/auto, doesn't mean they can deny the claim. Use the wrong weight/type oil and that is a whole different story. It was a scam that some auto dealers did and still try. Most of those dealers go out of business after the first couple of fines hit them.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro filters are different from engine oil filters in that their particle size rating is different. I don't recall the numbers off the top now, but the screening size for a hydro filter is smaller than that of an engine filter. Putting an engine filter on a hydro system, even though the physical fitup works (e.g. diameter, size of screw, length, etc), it may not be doing the expected job.

These threads often use the argument for cross-over filters that goes something like, "... their filters are made by company XXXX, and somebody else is just repainting and relabeling them with their own name." Just because a company makes a filter for another company to sell does not mean the innards of the filter are the same. The external characteristics may be identical, but what about the innards (e.g. paper pleats, valving, etc.)? Many manufacturers of products (all kinds, not just filters) supply other sellers with items to sell, but they are manufactured according to the sellers specifications. It may be differently branded, but it also may carry different specifications for the innards.

These threads are also interesting contrast to complaints about customers' habits of "wanting to save a buck." How many ongoing threads speak about how a customer is complaining because of a charge, with the explanation being, "... I am the professional, waning to do the job right?" These customers are labeled with a P... label. Then, we have these threads (this is one of many, many like threads over the years) suggesting taking a different approach than manufacturers' recommendations to save a few dollars. This is not a poke at the original poster, but an observation of many threads of a long period of time.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The direction of flow is different from an engine oil filter.