Oil Filter ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wriken, Apr 26, 2003.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I use quality Wix Brand oil filters in everything I operate, and have always changed filter/oil at the same time. I've heard the theory and read a recent post about a filter that is a little dirty does a better job of filtration, I know when I installed a amsoil air filter they also stated that as the filter got dirt on it the filter would filter better, make's sense to a point, as long as it was not clogged. Some people I know will say its cheap insurance to do the filter every time you change oil, and I have'nt a problem with that, but on the other hand if it filters better, say like leave it installed for 80hrs instead of 40hrs would'nt that be better for the motor? And if you do change the filter ever other oil change, Do you drain the oil out of the filter (possibly disturb contaminates) or just leave it on, eliminating a possible gasket leak?
  2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I don't believe any of that, I always change the filter like you said cheap insurance.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont change the filter with the oil your sending clean oil through a diry filter , now does that make sense ??? I always change the filter with the oil.. Dirty filters also restrict flow.. and the oil gets dirty in the machines we use.........
  4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I change oil every week. Just oil only first week then next week oil and filter.
  5. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

A dirty oil filter does not clean better when it is old. As it gets plugged the small pores get filled in first with small particles. This leaves the bigger pores unplugged until a big particle comes along. In the mean time all the small and medium particles go sailing right through. Air filters behave differently and do filter better as they get plugged. I think this is because the oil system uses a positive displacement pump to force the oil through the filter media whereas air is sucked through.

Always change filters at each oil change and buy the best you can afford. I personally use OEM filters.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have alwas changed filters when I change oil, and by the responses I will continue to do so. It made sense to me to do both every time.