Oil filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Apr 4, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the word on using STP automotive filters for my scags with KAWS and Kohlers. Do these filters match up with micron readings. They are about half the price of factory filters. thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Filters are a questionable item. But, are you really saving that much with buying cheap filters? After all, how many do you use a year?

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

factory oil filters from kohler or kaw cost any where from 5 bucks in catalogs to 15 at the dealer. an stp from autozone or wal-mart is 2 bucks, maybe 3. They both filter about 10-20 microns. Dixie chopper uses the amsoil unit that goes to 1 micron, and that oil is always sparkly clean. If you change oil twice a month or weekly, and the filters fit without modification, go for it. I use an stp on my grasshopper, and it works fine, no leaks. Dave g

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Oil filters are more than just microns. Here is an independant review of the STP (Champion Labs) oil filter.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Champion design has metal end caps on the filter cartridge, with the bypass valve stamped right into the bottom end cap like the Purolator. I refer to this as a one-piece filter cartridge.

Though definitely not the same design as the Purolator, it does use the same type of leaf-spring-type spacer at the top of the cartridge and the nitrile anti-drainback valve, which doubles as the cartridge-to-backplate seal, at the bottom. The drawback to this one-piece cartridge is the rather fragile filter element paper media. It is a thin, brittle paper that rips fairly easily. It was difficult to disassemble these cartridges without destroying the filter element. One other issue is that I sometimes noticed some rust on the backplate of these filters. Since the rust is usually around by the inlet holes, any loose rust would be caught by the filter.

The telltale signs for a Champion filter are: 6 large holes for the oil inlet, one of which is larger than the others. Only the black anti-drainback valve can be seen through the inlet holes. There are 6 large crimps holding the gasket in place. Through the center outlet hole, you can see the bypass valve spring. Usually, the backplate metal is dull, or even rusty.

----------------------------------------------------------

To see how other filters stack up visit http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

You will be very suprised to see which filters are junk and not junk.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I had that idea wi a walmart special.It was easy to see the filter was put out by the same people.but the kohler had a little different thread and didnt work for me.

6. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Purolator filters 4 me.

7. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I had a chance to see different filters cut open and compare the inside by far wix is the best construction the are
    sold thru different places like NAPA carquest Big A Ect.
    all filter company's will have two different Quality lines
    NAPA calls them silver line & gold line this is where your difference will be I prefer Wix which I buy NAPA gold line alot cheaper than dealer and they meet OEM spec.purelator is
    a good filter also. make sure you buy first line product no matter which brand remember all brands have seconds.

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using NAPA filters on my 20HP Kolher. Less that $4.00, and they are made by WIX. Great filters. I also get my belts from NAPA for my Walker. They are Gates belts which Walker also lists in their owners manual. I've been very happy with products from NAPA. Prices are reasonable too.
    Mowman

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Mowman ....we shop at Napa for filters & belts (walker)

10. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

I just bought 4 OEM filters for my 17hp kawi. $6 a piece from my dealer.