Oil Filters

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by echovalley, Feb 11, 2006.

1. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Just wanted some input on what oil filters you guy's are using on your machines and in your trucks.I have been using OEM motorcraft or mopar in my trucks but after doing some research it seems they are just rebadged fram or champion filters.In my machines I also try to run GEHL or KIOTI factory filters but my mowers I use fram from walmart and have never had any problems.Is It worth spending 2 or 3 times more for those OEM filters?

Also I am pretty anal on changing my oils- pickups 4k[semi synthetic]Diesels
    5k[semi synthetic]mowers 50-75 hours Skid steers/Backhoes every 6 months[about 100-150 hrs]

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The truck gets fleetguard, the mower gets fram.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I attended a 3 hr presentation back in 1979 Fram put on, Explained how they are assembled and the materials used ect. They also had 6 or so competitors filters with the top cut off so you could inspect the inside and com-pair them to the Fram. Let me just say I was impressed with the Fram compared to the others and have since run nothing but Fram on everything I own.
    I wouldn't spend more for a OEM filter.

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I try to use WIX in my vehicles. I don't really know if they are truely better or not, but most people say they are. Prices for them aren't that bad. I would run them on my Kohler engines too but I would have to special order them. I end up using Kohler factory filters that are over priced and then once a year I will order some aftermarkets...

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I use all wix filters

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Some time in the past (maybe 2-3 years ago), a link was posted for a report done on many different brand. Each one was pulled apart, checked for backflow valves, paper thickness, pleats, and a long list of other specifications. Also, it discussed who made which filter, which ones were merely relabeled, etc.

However, I've spent quite a long time in searching with various keywords, and I cannot locate the post. Maybe somebody else who has been on this board for a long time can remember, or can use better keywords for a search.

I did look in the website, bobistheoilguy.com, thinking something might be there. I found nothing, because the information, tests, etc on that web site are devoted to lubrication, not filters.

From my recollection, Wix and PureOne filters were rated among the highest --- others may have been there too.

8. kapena

kapena LawnSite Member

Roger, I found a website similar to what you are talking about: SHOclub.com/oil filters

I use to think Fram was OK until I read the article. WIX is described as good though. I might start using the more expensive Mobil1 on my equipment.

9. kapena

kapena LawnSite Member

A site where they disassemble and describe filters is:minimopar.knizefamily.net

You can click on the (engine oil filter study) there.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the link. Yes, I believe this is the article I saw before. Be sure to also read the summary page, not just the spec page.

I don't know how many changes are made by manufacturers. The last date of update was 2003, so maybe the information is out of date. I don't know. From what I can understand, some of the OEM brands change manufacturers from time to time, so a filter bought with a brand name 3 years ago is not the same filter bought today, even though it has the same labeling.

Clearly there are differences in filters, but changing them regularly (along with keeping air filters clean) is very important.