Oil filters

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by turf dog, Oct 2, 2006.

1. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I am tired of paying dealer prices for my Kohler oil filters $10.50. I was at Autozone and had them look up a match and they had a STP filter for $3.50. Do any of you run cheaper oil filters. I change my filters every 50 hours. Is the STP filter okay to use?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If the engine is under warranty no way. I don't know who makes stp oil filters. There are a few companies that make them and alot that stick their name on them. Wick is on of the largest. I would use a high quality filter that meets oem requrements. Just because they match up doesn't mean your getting the same level of protection. I would use OEM until the warranty ran out then use a HIGH QUALITY filter of your choice. I don't think you will save much money getting another high quality filter. You can shop around, I pay about $8.00 for Kohler filters. This is one area (oil and filter) that saving money shouldn't be your main concern. Quality oil and filters is a must. I don't know who makes Kohlers filters either but I'm sure some one on this board does. I would get the best filter reguardless of cost. Cheaper than an engine lost to a bad filter which does happen.

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would try a different dealer. I paid $7.50 for mine at the dealer. Mow More.com wants more than that plus shiping. I also recomend you use the proper filter. It may be a few bucks now but mega bucks later.

4. CELawn

CELawn LawnSite Member

mowpart.com

5. GRNHD

GRNHD LawnSite Member

WIX! WIX! WIX! One of the best, plus its longer than the Kohler!

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

there is only 3 or 4 plants that make oil filters then they sell them to the companies to put there name on i run ones that a buddy gets for his auto shop fom $1.50 ran them for years on everything (mowers,cars,trucks 4 wheeler, motorcycle) all you are paying for is the name

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I use Wix and only Wix on everything I own.

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

what's the kohler number for the filter you have?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The most common is 52 050 02, But there is a long version 277233 also.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased a purolator L10240 or L10241 cant remember. I ran the filter for 50 hours and I didnt have any problems, not to say that the damage may show up later from not filtering properly. BTW that was on a kohler 20 hp. and that filter was about $3.50 at the auto parts store

wayne