1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oil & filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 15, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I wanted to ask a couple of questions to get some group feedback.

#1- Do you use OEM filters or cross reference to another brand name?
    #2- NAPA stuff good? Filters = Wix & Oil = Valvoline, any truth to that?
    #3- Do any of you use a larger than stock oil filter for increased oil capacity?
    #4- Can anyone offer any long term info on Castrol GTX oil?

2. #1 yes off and on

#2 wix is good

#3 if available yes

#4 why it will be in there for a week or 2
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I'm asking for long term users of the brand and their results. I've been using this in my vehicles for a few months now.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

I take it that Castrol GTX is not a popular oil? Or do I need to title a thread Castrol GTX to get attention?
  5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mines wife has been in lab at Fleetguard for over 25yrs they make all kinds of air and oil filters. Before all the synthetics were going strong. In tests they ran(DON'T know what kind of test)heres how it went.

1-shell fire and ice

I cant remember anymore.:) :)
  6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I USE amsoil and amsoil filters
  7. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

wish i could find amsoil, i asked my dealer about it and he looked at me like i was craazy. its amazing how even i know more about this business than the people selling me equipment or at least it seems that way, probably not thou.lol..... can i get that online?amsoil?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

About Amsoil, same problem here with availability. I contacted Amsoil online for info. They sent me a nice package which included a preferred customer app and a dealer app as well. I wish my father-in-law still owned his own garage, I'd have him sign up. Anyways, I think I was able to locate one local place that had the Amsoil stuff. But it was very expensive and I haven't done more than make a phone call to that place.

As for the other oil mentioned, only 2 of the 4 are available locally, Valvoline and Castrol.
  9. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

i order mine from www.amsoil.com and its on my door step next day if i want to get next day shipping
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Getting Amsoil should be no problem if you want it. Like CO.d 502nd said, you can order it right from their site. That's as easy as it gets.