oil filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Sep 15, 2003.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

All things being =, is a bigger filter better than a smaller one? In other words, if you add more oil to compencate for the size of a bigger filter, will you be better off, worse off, or about the same?
  2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

all things being equal, bigger filter will make no difference.

Now if all things are not equal, and the bigger filter has more filter material, then it will have a longer shell life. It wont filter better if its made out of the same material.
  3. lawnman_scott

That is what i figured, and when i went to change my oil, i couldnt find a approximatly$7.95 filter the ripoff mower shop charges me. I did however find a $2.99 filter that Autozone sold me for my F150. It fits, just a bit longer. So that is what i will use in the future.
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

F 150
    what year?
  5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

wix #51348
    will work on kohler command
    v twin
    mine is a 23 hp
  6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Just because a filter has the same thread size and oring size does not mean it will work. It depends on the direction of flow thru the filter. Most filters have some type of anti drain back valve. You can't flow oil backwards. There are over 100 different grades of materials filters are made of, and the quantity of material they are made of. Yes the Wix 51348 "fits", but it was actually designed for a chrysler automobile engine. That's it's main application. I prefer to see filters used that are designed for the application, not just ones that fit. There is a lot more to see inside than we know.
  7. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

why would you want to put a Fram on anything YOU own?
  9. lawnman_scott

98 f150 4.2 v-6

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah ... Diff filters have different pressures that the bypass valves release at and some dont even have valves at all ... I would not mess with that .... Use the right filter for the application.. There are plenty of cross reff materials out there.. If you have the Kohler # let me know I may be able to look it up for you and get a hastings #.. I have their cross reff book...