Oil for 23HP Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freedm2, Jul 20, 2008.

1. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm picking up a new Everride Hornet tomorrow. It's been sitting in a crate for 2 years. First thing I plan to do it change the oil.

The owners manual shows many different ranges. Also shows the ranges for the lower-end brigg ELS engine. The briggs shows you can use synthetic 10W-30 across the entire operating temp range. The Kaw doesn't show that.

Just wondering what you guys run in your mid-sized Kaw engines. Based upon the chart I'm thinking of running SAE30 OR running 10W-30/10W-40 Sythetic even though it doesn't show sythentic on the chart. I'll use fossil oil this time and switch to syn. around 50 hours.

Also planning on chaning the hyrdo oil. I assume it's OK to go right to syn. for the hydro since may mfr. uses syn. from factory.

What do you guys think?

oil.jpg

2. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I run straight 30 weight oil in my Kawi's. Late October and November it can be a bit thick when you get a cold morning start, but I just let it warm up for a few minutes and its fine for the day.

Just to add, I do run synthetics in my winter engines, or ones that see spooratic use throught the year.

3. lightninlawn1978-2008

lightninlawn1978-2008 LawnSite Member

Hello, My toro says in the hydro right on the cap use only [mobil one syn] 15w40 , AND I use sae/ 30 castrol year round but I dont mow in winter, This oil really takes the heat well and doesnt get brown as fast as 10w does...hope this helps you decide...

4. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

bump AND do you think I need to change the engine oil filter or should draining the oil be enough?

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Every time you change the oil you have to change to oil filter. I use mobil 1 10w-30 in my kawi and my dads lazer with a 21 hp kawi. On my walkbehind the dipstick says to use 10w30 or 10w40. I would have to check and see if the lazer says the same thing. Just see if the machnine or the manual says anything and then if not just jun 10w30.

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

as far as hydro I dont like to change them my self because I dontreally konw how. My Lesco recommends 20w 50 right on the tank. Like I said just look over the mower for a label telling you which one and if you dont find it turn to the manual.

7. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

8. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

To be blunt, Changing your oils without changing the filters is like taking a DUMP without Wiping your A$$.

9. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh::nono::laugh::nono::laugh::nono::dizzy:

10. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree; however, the engine was never run. The only reason to change the oil is the fact that its 2 years old. The filter should be completely fine. Don't you agree?

The Kaw manual says to change the oil every 100 hours and the filter every 200 hours. I agree with you though, why not just spend the few bucks while you are at it.