Oil for a walker mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gaturf, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

what brand and grade of oil should i be using in my walker mower that has 1,000 hours on it?

thanks

2. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

thanks for the help guys

3. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

4. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

thanks, i already looked at that site. I was just looking for a specific brand that worked well for mowers with high hours. Ill just go ask my walker dealer what they recommend.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Oil is oil... If it's a Kohler engine use 10W30, any brand you like. I use the valvoline maxlife oil in everything I own. It's made for higher mileage (hour) engines and it does seem to slow oil consumption a good deal. Most of it I find now is a "synthetic blend", which is fine with me.

6. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

thank you! thats exactly the info i needed.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Oil is oil What kind of theory is that Rose?, I am using AMSOIL 15w-40 12 TBN heavy duty marine diesel diesel & gasoline oil with improved Kohler engine performance, lower engine operating temperature's.

I would use a quality 10w-30, in either a conventional or synthetic formulation.

8. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

thanks for the input.

9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a big fan of the 15-40w when temps are above 50F.

A Catepiller Mechanic told me back in 1988, about the additave package in 15-40w for Diesel, and it is good for gas too. Lowest oil consumption.

I have been using Shell Rotella and Penzoil Long Life ever since.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 10-30w, when it's below 50F

Engines are happy here!

Pete

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have tried to pass along some oil knowledge to members on this site, with little sucess or interest. Like I have said some folks are just set in their ways with engine lubricants ; which is truly a disappointment.