Oil for FJ180v KAI

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kennymo81, Mar 13, 2013.

1. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

I just purchased an Exmark Commercial 30 with a Kawasaki FJ180v KAI. I will be running it in temperatures from 75F in the beginning of the season up to 100F in the middle of the season. I would like to buy the best possible oil available to protect my $1800 dollar investment. The manual recommends either a 10w30 or a sae30. Any recommendations or advice would help. The dealer suggested royal purple 10w30 but I have read before that 10w30 is more of a cold weather oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Straight 30 or 40HD. More important, schedule recommended oil/filter changes. I seem to recall that Kaws engine manual suggesting that multiweight oils may encourage more oil usage. Check your manual.

Your mileage may vary--different strokes for different folks!

3. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

Thank you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

I've used Mobil 1 10W30 in them for years, and never had any oil usage problems. My only advice would be that whatever you use, make sure it is synthetic. Small, air cooled engines run hot, and synthetic oils will improve engine life.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

...AND, IFF you're going to use synthetic oil, do so after you've got 50-100 hours on it using conventional 30w oil first. The engine needs a proper break-in for the rings to seat/etc...

Even MORE important is to change that break-in oil at the recommended 8hr mark.

My understanding is that these commercial Toro/ExMark 30" mowers do not come with an hour meter. Personally, that would be a great investment, IMHO. Tiny Tach is a brandname thrown around here at LS.

I run Mobil 1 15w/50 in my KAW 16hp KAIs. My research here at LS led me to my own conclusion. Yes, multi-weight oils may contribute to (more) oil usage, but protection (esp in Summer heat) is numero uno...and synthetic oils break down LESS than conventional oils do in stressful/heat related conditions.

There's a LOT of info out there and here at LS concerning oil choices. The link below does not go into much verbage, but merely relays some useful info provided by Mobil 1:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

I went with Mobil 1 15w/50 due to its mineral content/ratios.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Kaioh

Kaioh LawnSite Member

Well sae 30w for summer, sae40 for very hot summer 10w30/10w40 not too hot or cold just good temperature and can use for cold, 5w20 for very cold. Synthetic 10w30 for all temperature but make sure (API) SF, SG, SH, or SJ. If wrong API will damage the engine..

7. Barry01

Barry01 LawnSite Member

8. 71GTX

71GTX LawnSite Member

I just run Valvoline 10w30 in mine,it burned a bit of oil at start up for the first 50 hours or so, but that has cleared for some time now.Theres around 350 hours on the machine with no oil usage between oil changes.

9. Barry01

Barry01 LawnSite Member

Is that if you exceed the API Rating or is it if you go below it ?

10. Barry01

Barry01 LawnSite Member

Synthetic oils would exceed API SJ !