Oil For Hot Climates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drains, Jun 7, 2008.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

Any suggestions for the best oil for hot climates here in the south? Its already in the high 90's and the humidity is off the charts. I have a 23HP Kawasaki on my mower. This will be the first oil change due, at 8 hours. Owners manual gives some suggestions but they are sort of vague. If I read it right it suggests 40wt for here. I dont know.

2. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We use 10-30 mobil 1

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I use 30 wt here in the Florida panhandle.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil-1 synthetic.
    Use the grade suggested in your owner's manual.

5. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

I have mobil 1 10w30 in everything I own. But I just changed the oil in my 4 wheeler and scag w/ amsoil 4 stroke oil. will soon convert everything to amsoil. Check out amsoil on their site. Type 4 stroke oil in search, it's hard to find. If you use alot of oil you can become a preferred customer and get it at a discount and it will work out on the price. I think my oil shipped out of Dallas.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

any synthetic oil will always protect your engine better than any conventional oil. Air cooled engines are dependent on the oils ability to dissipate heat though the oil cooler. I would suggest minimal SAE synthetic 10w-40 oil in an air cooled engine operating in high ambient temps. I'm running Amsoil 15w-40 heavy duty marine diesel & gasoline 12TBN oil with great results. Engine manufactures oil reccomendations are based on their own proprietary oil testing, and do not test synthetic oils in their engines, and will not recommend switching the oil viscosity or switching from "their" proprietary oils.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know about the Kawi, all my Kohlers use 10w-30. Pennzoil makes a nice Group III synthetic that you can find on sale from time to time. I bought a bunch from Advance last year and the price worked out about $2.90 a quart. I used Mobil 1 in everything for years, but everything I used it in seemed to suffer from evaporation problems. I also use Amsoil from time to time. More expensive, but certainly nothing wrong with it.

If you intend on changing it very frequently, you can get by just fine with regular Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Pennzoil or plenty of others. I have run all of these to 100 hours, but I don't push my luck running them that long in the summer. In the modern oil world, it's hard to pick a bad oil. There are some out there though. Avoid no-name brands and you will be fine. Want to go 100 hours in the summer, go synthetic. I've actually used Amsoil for 150+ hours between changes.

8. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Better yet, sign up for a commercial account that costs you nothing. A Preferred Customer account costs $20/year. Please PM or email if anyone is interested.

Glad to hear you are using Amsoil products!!!

9. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

10w30 seems to burn faster to me ive been using castrol 10w30 and now im really thinking about switching to something else

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a huge fan of the Lucas oil stabilizer. The stuff works great and I use a little bit in all my 4 stroke equipment.