oil/gas mix in 4 cycle engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by flywheel220, Mar 28, 2004.

1. flywheel220

flywheel220 LawnSite Member

when I add oil to my 11HP briggs and stratton engine, it will not work like a charm without a little bit of gasoline mixed in the oil fill. Its a 4cycle, the engine is 22 years old. If I don't add a little gas to the oil it smokes like crazy! why? I use 10w-30 oil. engine located on a snapper.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

WAIT ???
    your putting gasoline into the oil in the crankcase ???
    WHY ???

All thats gonna do is dilute the oil and damage the internal components !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its' smokin you probably need some engine work , like new rings or gaskets ??? May want to have a pro look at it befoer you dont have an engine left to worry about ????? Just my .02
  3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Bad idea to put gas into the oil!!!!!
  4. Z-DADDY

Z-DADDY LawnSite Member

Only reason I can think of is the added gasoline helps the oil to burn a little better after it slips past your rings and into the combustion chamber. The big downside is by diluting your oil you are also greatly diminishing the lubrication properties and therefore accelerating the engine wear you already have. How long have you been adding gas? If it were me I would live with a little oil smoke so the engine could live a little longer. Then I would save my money untill I could afford to replace it.
  5. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Man that is crazy thats the last thing you want to do!
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

And just when ya thought you've heard it all! hehe!
  7. martinw

martinw LawnSite Member

If you are adding gas to the oil it SHOULD smoke worse (as you are diluting/thining the oil so it can slip by the rings and get burnt).

An older engine (22 y.o. briggs) should be running a straight 30 weight oil.

If you haven't already recentally try changing the oil (really dirty oil will act wierd sometimes), and make sure it isn't overfilled.

Will you explain how "it will not work like a charm ", is it hard to start, just smokes, runs poorly, ect....
  8. flywheel220

flywheel220 LawnSite Member

This engine smokes to much sometimes.
    I have a new piston with rings, but I have trouble taking the drive disc off. By the way" It will not work like a charm" means that it smokes and hard to start cold. Oil gas mix cuts the smoking down quite a bit, I only add 2 teaspoons of gas in the oil.