Oil/Grease Maintenance on ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

In the manual to my 34Z it says to grease the castor wheels every 400 hours and to oil all pivoting parts every 25 hours. What all parts should be oiled to prevent problems. I want to be sure I get every part that should be oiled to prevent problems. Also, should I put some kind of lubricant on the belts to keep them form drying out?

Thanks... :)

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I grease every other day when busy. (ALL fittings)

Pivoting parts are anything where moving metal contacts, but there are no grease fittings. WD40 works fine, it's thin enough to get into those close tolerance locations.

Don't "lubricate" belts. You may cause them to slip. Maybe just a little belt dressing.

3. Husky03

Should I even worry about belt dressing? Where are all of the fittings? Do I need a grease gun of some type to use the fittings?

Thanks...

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

There should be fittings on all blade spindles, front wheels, front axle, front deck supports, control levers, deck belt tensioners, hydro belt tensioner.etc.

Remember all machines aren't exactly the same.

Just go over your machine with a fine tooth comb. Some are hard to see.

My manual showed most fittings but not all.

You don't have to use a belt dressing unless you notice a problem.

Buy a lever grease gun at Wallmart. A flexible line is a must.

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Flexiable line grease gun is really the one gun you'll need to get in those hard to reach fittings.

6. Husky03

How much can I expect to pay for the gun? Also, any certain kind I should get or does this gun you are talking about fit all of the fittings? I don't know if the fitting are different sizes or not.

Thanks...

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

all of your fittings SHOULD be the same size. i have never seen otherwise. I have a pistol-grip grease gun and i think it cost about $18. Hope this helped!

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

listen guys and i cant stress this enough read you owners manual it will tell you all that you have asked here.there have been to many instances where some one has come in my shop raising he!! that his mower is broke and want's it fixed under warranty.when all that needed to be done was a simple adjustment or something is wore out because it was not greased. if you follow the book this stuff will not happen

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You can get a greese gun at any auto parts store, through Snap-on dealer, Wal-mart. My suggestion is if you have compressed air Harbor Freight tools sells one that is air operated. This nice compared to a lever action type that requires both hands to work the gun rater than one with the pistol style grip. I bought a flex hose pistol grip style from a NAPA auto parts for $30.00 but that was years ago and still works. If I was in the business right now though I'd go with the air model. I think NAPA has those as well.

10. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

It is sound advice to read the owner's manual. I would like to add to read the manual at each servicing until it is engrained in your memory. I find that I forget some of the requirements, but you may not. Also, it helps me to write down when I serviced, what I did, and the date and machine hours.

I do have some skepticism about owner's manuals. They seem to differ among manufacturers in ways that don't always reflect real differences. The long list of required daily maintenance items on my Kubota ZD-21 says nothing about how long the day is. And I wonder about the stated frequency of greasing the universal joints. In other machinery, the U joints go much longer without a factory requirement to grease. Any comments on sense and nonsense in factory maintenance requirements?