Oil/Hyd. fluid change question for PJ.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by NateHodge, Jul 16, 2012.

1. NateHodge

NateHodge LawnSite Member

I have 2 X-Ones that need their first fluid changes. These are my first zero turns to service. I have looked through the GSM and I see the it recommends "SAE 20/50 SL/SM" motor oil for the hydraulic system. Do you have any preference on what brand oil goes into the hyd system? I have found only 4 types readily available here. Mobil 1, Castrol Syn Blend, Castrol GTX, and Honda. All meet the "SL/SM" standard except the Mobil 1, its stamped SJ i believe.

Is there some difference in the oil that would make the Castrol a better choice for this application over Mobil 1 fully synthetic? Thanks in advance.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would go with the Mobil 1 personally, it meets and exceeds the spec.

Pj

3. Bob MacGregor

Bob MacGregor LawnSite Member

Recently took delivery of an X-ONE with a 60" rear discharge deck for use in an old cemetery. I have been reading the manuals and the hyd system oil recommended for the X-ONE is 20W50 SM as I read it. The manual continues on to say that the Mobil 1 15W50 is recommended in the Super Z which has hydrostatic drive units. To my knowledge the vast majority of pump and wheel motor drive units use non synthetic 20W50 motor oil.