oil im running now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, May 24, 2008.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

cause of gas prices i switched to synthetic and now run 0w 20. now less drag and saving a little more on gas.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

The low flow-ressistance of synthetic oil won't save you any gas in your truck. Unless it reduces friction. Got any figures to go on? And how fast does the truck burn it?

I use mineral oil in the truck, synthetic in the ZTR, once again mineral in the splash lubricated 21" WB and synthetic again in the 2-strokes. I almost lost track when typing.:laugh:

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

lighter oil's have less drag from any splasing from the crankcase causing less force to turn crank.
    beat water with a blender then try it with cooking oil. blender spins easier in the water cause less thick not because oil is more thick. thats why it helps gas mileage

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's because of tolarances.....

even seen an engine built with specs of 1/1000 of an inch....?

in older engines with lower tolatances it will only cause oil leaks... nothing else.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Until I can afford to buy my oil in cases and go to Amsoil, I am running Royal Purple 10w30 in everything. Both vehicles and both mowers and Napa Gold oil filters all around as well.

I don't know if I am seeing any better fuel milage yet but this is the first round for everything to be on fully synthetic. I think after several oil changes I will see the difference.