oil in carb?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jpp, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

OK I changed the air filter and oil today and found oil in the carburator. Any ideas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jpp,

It can be one of many things but if the engine is in good shape I'd say it was probably the air filter................................

An engine is nothing more than a big air pump and then we mix in some fuel and some spark to make a bang which makes power. When the engine tries to inhale it is trying to bring in air through the intake/carb system. If the air filter is plugged or highly restricted (dirty) then it will draw air from the path of least resistance. This can often mean the crank case which is full or oil, oil vapor etc.

Clean everything up good and make sure you don't knock any dirt into the carb then run if for a week or so with regular maintenance and the see if the oil re-appears. If it doesn't then the filter was most likely the cause.

Just in case you may want to have the dealer give it a thorough inspection as well. The crank case vent or other componants may need to be adjusted, replaced or repaired as well.

Thanks

Terry

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Terry,

I spoke to the dealer today as well. They said the same thing as you and also hinted at a possible gasket problem. I had to replace the engine last year. It is a 19hp kaw and it went out on me. The engine was three years old. So I am a little upset on this new thing. I like the mower and the cut and all but concerned about the engine problems. I replaced the air filter just before leaf season.But after seeing this yesterday it was replaced again. I will keep an eye on it this week and see what happens.

Thanks,

JPP