1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oil in filter housing/ccarb intake

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DLCS, Sep 4, 2006.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I was replacing the air filter on a 25 hp kawasaki horizontal motor this afternoon and noticed oil in the intake area of the carburator. What would be the cause of this? Also, I had a leaky head gasket so i change that too. But when I had the head off, i noticed one of the rockers was more loose than the other. I know they have different tolerances but this one seemed quite loose. I may be worring for nothing but does someone have any input?
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

a little oil around the breather pipe at the carb is ok. just visually check the rocker and related parts against the other rocker. if ok then reassemble. good luck.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Valve clearance should be checked every 300 hrs., The piston should be positioned at top dead center compression stroke and both intake and exhaust set to 0.003/0.005". If one was looser than the other at TDC I would suggest checking and adjusting all if needed.