Oil Leak, 27 Kohler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by grump99, May 5, 2007.

1. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

I purchased a brand new super z a few weeks ago. So far it has performed great. Yesterday I noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor. I looked under the back of the motor and noticed that one of the bolts on the rear cylinder head was slightly wet with engine oil.

The bolt in question is below the valve cover on the rear cylinder, between the spark plug and the exaust pipe. The bolt has a nut and a large washer on it. I believe its used to hold the cylinder head in place, but am not sure. I wiped the oil off and ran the engine for about 1/2 hour in the garage and re-checked. There was a small film of oil in the same place, but not enough to drip on the floor. Oil does not appear to be leaking from the valve cover or any other nearby places.

Has anyone seen this before? The mower only has about 12 hr on it and the oil has not been changed yet. The oil level is still reading full.

I am dropping the mower off at the dealership for them to look at. Is this something I should press the dealer to fix, or something that commonly happens and I should just ignore?

Thanks!

Tony

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new mower and welcome to the family!!
    It isn't supposed to leak.
    Your dealer will take care of it.

Pj

3. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I am dropping the mower off tomorrow. I do love the mower by the way, it does a fantastic job:) .

4. grump99

grump99 LawnSite Member

Just a quick update. It turned out the engine needed a new head gasket and valve cover gasket. My dealer just dropped the mower off yesterday. Seems as good as new. :)

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear, I am glad they took care of you quickly.

Pj