Oil Leak - new Kaw 15HP Twin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dillrob, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

I just got my new Metro 48" delivered today. Gave it a run around for about 10 minutes and when I was done I noticed some engine oil on top of the mower deck. It appears to have blown out of the engine at some point. Couldn't quite tell. The engine is a 15HP Kawi. I don't think this is normal, but is this something that happens and will stop (when gaskets seal) or is this a problem? Funny think is that I noticed a Metro 48" at the dealer sitting outside with oil in the same spot - different mower though as that has pistol grips. That is what is making me think it may be something that happens during break-in. Any thoughts?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Clean the deck off, Check the oil make sure its full, run the mower and see if it leaks again
    John

3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

No, a new engine should not leak at all.
    Check to see if oil filter and oil fill cap are tight.
    If they are, run don't walk it back to the dealer. :realmad:

4. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

Another interesting thing. The oil on the deck is black, like used oil. However, the oil in the engine is till new and golden colored. So, wondering if it is coming from something other than the engine.

5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

is it grease?

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, it might be grease. My hubs on my trailer leak grease and it looks like dirty motor oil.

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Oil can sometimes blow out of the engine if the oil level is too high, depending on the engine. Too much pressure builds up and some oil is released from the engine. The oil could've blown out and collected dirt. Check the oil level and if it's too high, let out some oil. This may or may not be the problem.

8. dillrob

dillrob LawnSite Member
    from Phila

I called the retailer where I bought it and I was told that this may have been a little blow back out of the muffler. Was also told that this is not uncommon on a new engine and would not be a problem. I did see this on another mower which was sitting out at their location. I cleaned off the oil and ran it some more this weekend. I didn't notice anymore oil, so hopefully that's it. The only thing, to me, it does not seem like came from the muffler. It looked like the oil may have come from the gasket where the exhaust leaves the engine into the pipe leading to the muffler. Could be it just needed to be run a little to seat better. In any case, thanks for the replies and I'll keep an I on it.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

:cool2:

John

10. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

It is oil from the muffler i bought one last year it did the same thing it wont blow long dont worry just cut away.